small filtration

MamaJones

proud reefer!
So, Joe went to a new LFS told the guy the we had a 90g. The guy said..."here's the one you want" and bought the MegaFlow sump. I'm setting it up this afternoon and see a big sticker: for tanks up to 75 g. He says questions the trouble of returning it for the proper size.

Is he right?

So, Joe went to a new LFS told the guy the we had a 90g. The guy said..."here's the one you want" and bought the MegaFlow sump. I'm setting it up this afternoon and see a big sticker: for tanks up to 75 g. He says questions the trouble of returning it for the proper size.

Is he right?

if anything you may want to get it for a bigger tank than what you have

Is he right?

If you can return the mega flow filter, then you really should. It is a massively over priced piece of outdated hardware. The same amount of money spent on an all glass tank for a sump and a protein skimmer to put in the sump would work much better. A Megaflow trickle filter/sump is really only recommended for fish only tanks. The Megaflow for a 75 gallon tank runs around $250 online, plus shipping. You could easily purchase a skimmer such as a Octopus or a Corallife plus and an all glass tank to use as a sump for about the same price or a little more.
The mega flow that you bought has the same approxiamte capacity of a 20 gallon tank used as a sump. It has an approximate total gallonage size of a tank of about 30 gallons, but only half of that can hold water if the trickle filter is used. Most people who make the mistake of buying a Megaflow sump do not end up using the bio-ball (trickle) filter on their reef tanks. That makes for a very exspensive small sump. Try to get a refund not an upgrade to a larger size. There are many, many Megaflow filters sitting unused around the homes of people who own reef tanks.

Fatman is dead on, just return it. You can make your own sump for a fraction of the price, and MegaFlows usually are not conducive to keeping inverts and corals as the equipment that comes with them tend to lead to high nitrates, which are deadly to inverts and corals.

You can have a much better set up if you just buy an empty tank for a sump and put a protein skimmer in it.

Thanks for the information everyone! I told Joe about it today when I saw he had already put the MF 75 underneath. He said, "it will be fine, Amanda" with his condescending "I'm Joe, I know everything" tone. I've been on this site for as many hours as I can stay awake and maintain my mother of the year award I'm goin for and I've saw how Biff used the 55 for her sump. When I suggested using this tactic with our current 30 gal, he nulled my suggestion at saving money.
This is all coming from the man that killed our first 5 fish since I've been taking over everyone is living.....grrr!
And besides transforming into the incredible Hulk and lifting the tank myself I'll never even be able to change it!

We do already have a protein skimmer that we planned on using in the sump. Any suggestions on what to do with the bullheaded breadwinner I live with?

(and as much as I'm learning about tanks on this site, I am also learning so much about its members...all your tank envy, cleavage, & weiner jokes are crackin me up!)

Withhold sex. That usually works. :D

Can one withhold something they don't have? We have 3 kids...so I think we're both pretty lucky when the chance comes along.

He insists that this sump will work...I guess we'll just donate that money to the LFS! He says that our 30 won't fit in the cabinet. Whatever. :frustrat:

I've been reading your tank's thread, it is awesome. I have tank envy! My kids could go swimming (and probably would) if we had one that big. But I'm worried about our old house's floors holding up this 90.

Tell your old man to PM me and try to convince me he is doing the right thing and that a larger tank will not fit under the stand. Either a standard 30 gallon or a standard 29 gallon will fit with lots of room to spare. Actually there is even enough room for a 33, 37 or a 38 gallon tank, however they are not as commonly seen amongst tanks. Everyone on this site know I can argue quite well.

he doesn't like being wrong...so I'll go ahead and say that's not gonna happen.

Thanks for the offer, but it is hard to argue with someone that won't listen!

what's the worst that's gonna go wrong?

the worst thing will be wanting to do more with your sump area and not being able to. imo

Not to mention the fight with keeping nitrates down,and maintaining the sump,the sound of Niagra Falls coming from under the tank.
A couple of times taking the bio-balls out to rinse them,and he'll think twice.

It will make it quite hard to succeed with invertebrates such as shrimp, crabs, snails, corals, anemones, as you will have most likely have continual high nitrates that will only be kept remotely in line with frequent water changes above and beyond what would be necessary without the bio ball trickle filter (wet/dry). Plus wasted prime space and wasted money.

Back