small red polyp or anemone?

Kazarko

Reefing newb
I was wondering what this is. I have several in my tank. Usually during the day the body is not extended as much and it looks like a ball of tentacles. Its size is about 1 inch. Any guesses?

Attachments

• redThing.jpg
    redThing.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 601
Here is another photo. red base with small transparent tentacles that end in little bubble shapes.

Attachments

• redThing2.jpg
    redThing2.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 511
No, doesn't look like any of those Aiptasia or Majano. With so many other anemones I'm still not sure which one it is. This one is very red and the shape actually reminds me of the Jewel anemone during the day because of the bulb tip on the tentacle and the thick base, but these guys have a red "foot" and clear tentacles. There are a whole lot of them covering one rock, their feet are hidden in the many holes in the rock and their transparent tentacles makes it hard to spot them or take pictures. Imagine my surprise one day when I realized my rock had tons of tiny little transparent tentacles all over it! :shock: This one guy moves around a lot or maybe got dislodged and is moving in the sand.

perhaps a few pics from the front will be more useful. Here are a few more pictures. This thing just doesn't look like the pictures of Aiptasia or Majano I've seen. Tentacles are not the same shape or color as those of Aiptasia or Majano. I'm pretty sure it's an anemone though. I'm just not sure which kind

Attachments

• redThing3.jpg
    redThing3.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 560
  • redThing4.jpg
    redThing4.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,068
Wow, that actually looks exactly like what I have in the tank. Thanks! I'm just surprised to see a cold (relatively) water specimen spread on the live rock in my tank. They don't look as nice and organized in my tank as those in the pictures. I'll leave them alone and see how they grow.

They aren't considered pests like majano and aiptasia, but that's because they usually don't live long. Keep them alive as long as you can, and consider it a nice addition to your tank!

Back