snail acclimation

Johno, i get 0 die off really, i had 2 turbos go, but thats because the puffer i had picked at them, in fact, i think my puffer in the predator tank has killed my abalone. Bastard...

i dont acclimate but nothing dies, not even my sea apples or corals or anemone haha. Risky? yes... working? for now! :D

Sometimes, no matter how well you acclimate snails, they just die. Snails and shrimp seem to be two of those animals that are just hit or miss. I've had some snails and shrimp live for years. But sometimes when I introduce a new batch, half die within a week, and the other half live for a year plus.

That's great Josh. Unfortunately for me I am new to saltwater, have done freshwater for almost 30 years, and I am still trying to convince my wife that the expense really is worth it in the end. I am just getting started and she has no clue how much I have spent already, almost $1000 and I still have to get lights, corals, finish the CUC, fish, and I am considering going ahead and setting up an old tank I have as a refugium. Therefore, dieoff is to be kept at a minimum to show her that I am wasting nothing, in her mind. Thus prolonged acclimations for me. At least for now.

haha prolonged acclimations are a good idea. You can always do what live aquaria says, add a cup of water to the bag every 5 minutes, then drain half of it out and continue doing this until most of the water from the bag and tank has been diluted leaving your tank water. then just net the fish or cuc or corals and put them in your tank.

I acclimate everything the same way every time.I'll use my turkey baster to pull a squirt of water from the bag,then I'll put a squirt from the tank into the bag.I just do that untill the salinity in the bag matches the tank.

The first time I got a cuc I didn't have any flexible tubing or anything else but I did find some tubing that was bendable but I was too hard to tie a knot in it so I simply started the flow and stuck a q-tip in one end. You can adjust how much you wanna drip by pulling or pushing it in.

Back