Snail and a Lobster

sankhamg

Reefing newb
I've added a snail and a lobster I found. I have no clue what they are and if the snail is safe to keep in a aquarium. It's quite a large one for a snail about 4in long.

Attachments

• IMG_0999.jpg
    IMG_0999.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_1003.jpg
    IMG_1003.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 467
I certainly hope you're doing lots of research before you are removing these animals from their homes. I also hope you know that once they are in your tank, you cannot re-release them into the ocean.

My thinking is, what if they are some kind of obligate feeder and you have just doomed them for death? Just a thought. Good luck with them. They are very cool.

Well I know it's not right but there are no LFS in the country I live which sells saltwater fish at all. About the feeding lobster eats almost anything I drop in to tank and the snail has eaten quite a lot of algae in the glass. Anyways I was wondering if they are reef safe cos if not dropping them back in the sea is not a prob cos it's just a walk away from my house.

NO. DO NOT PUT THESE ANIMALS BACK INTO THE OCEAN AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN IN YOUR TANK.

You could potentially wipe out an entire ecosystem by introducing any number of things.

NO. DO NOT PUT THESE ANIMALS BACK INTO THE OCEAN AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN IN YOUR TANK.

You could potentially wipe out an entire ecosystem by introducing any number of things.

I totally get the concern but things are bit different over here. Everything in my tank comes from down the lane from sea including sand and water. Even fish it's from the same reef, I'm sure I saved that lobster from ending up in a restaurant dish when I bought it from the guy who caught it. :)

G'day Sankhamg, nice to meet another island dweller....

I've gotta laugh....I reckon half these people have probably not even seen an ocean...:) I don't think they can comprehend that some of us have tropical reefs less than 200m from our front doors.....and everything....yes EVERYTHING......that goes in our tanks.....NCLUDING FOOD.......comes from our local reefs....

ohhhh BTW....The Spiny lobster is a Panilirus Versicolour or more commonly known as a painted or bamboo cray....

G'day Sankhamg, nice to meet another island dweller....

I've gotta laugh....I reckon half these people have probably not even seen an ocean...:) I don't think they can comprehend that some of us have tropical reefs less than 200m from our front doors.....and everything....yes EVERYTHING......that goes in our tanks.....NCLUDING FOOD.......comes from our local reefs....

ohhhh BTW....The Spiny lobster is a Panilirus Versicolour or more commonly known as a painted or bamboo cray....

Thanks :) but kida out of tank for sometime till I complete my new tank. :P my old display tank glass blew sometime back :(

Back