Snail Escape Artist

tonyg

Reefing newb
I have a big Nerite snail that seems to have been looking for a way out of the tank since I got him. He finds all of the gaps in the top of my biocube, ive found him in the pump chamber, sitting on top of the filter, and in the refugium chamber. I don't know how he has gotten to some of these places. A few days ago I couldn't find him at all. Figured he might be in the rock rubble in the refuguim. Did my water change today and cleaned everything out looking for him. He was no where in the tank. As I was cleaning up some water that spashed onto the floor, I found him under the chair about 2 feet away from the tank. He has most likely been out of the water for a few days. He dosen't smell and his trapdoor is closed. Any chance he could still be alive?

The nerite snail is semi-aquatic (just like mudskippers), and are adapted to live in mangrove forests where they emerge to breathe. This behavior is normal and your snail probably is not dead. (unless you live in a very dry area)

He is alive! This is him. Looks like his barnacle things are still working too. I still cant figure out how he got out. The top of my biocube is enclosed.

Attachments

• nerite snail.jpg
    nerite snail.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 367
So I went over to feed the tank this morning, and saw a strange smudge across the side of the glass, looked down and saw one of Mr. Janeways nerite associates at the base of my stand. For the life of me I can't figure out how they get out.

This one is now known as Jean-Luc.

Attachments

• Jeanluc.jpg
    Jeanluc.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 378
Back