Snail outbreak Shutting down tank : (

Denita

Sail em & Sell em
I am having the worse snail outbreak ever. They are little red and white snails. Dont know what they may have come on but i dont know what else todo but shut down tear it apart and start over. My corals should be fine if I get it all done today! I am just getting sick of looking at a snail tank instead of a coral tank.

Does anyone have anyonther suggestions to what I should do about these guys? they dont cause harm they help clean but they reproduce like you wouldn't believe. they come out at night some stay visiable during the day and thats what upsets me. I have a 75 gallon tank and I can see probally close to 150 snails just chilling! really Ashame. well I am going to begin my tear down here in a hour. going to take pictures as I go! should be fun!

+1.. my sixline keeps things well in check.. had similar problem before him.. not to mention he seems very happy with the extra food :D

For sure on getting a predator to take care of them. I had a similar problem in freshwater and was getting ready to give up until I found out what ate the snails and the problem was solved.

so do they only eat snails? I have turbo snails in my tank also but I can put them in my sump till its clean I have been picking them out but its such a hassle considering how many there are and how fast they reproduce. some people were tellng me it was a good thing but I think they are crazy!

I also have soft and hard corals pylops mushrooms leathers brains trees acans ect just dont want dude to eat any of my pride!

Are they snails or flatworms? If you do decide to go with a wrasse for pest control, look at the four line wrasse as well. Same as a six-line just not as common.

Back