Snails

Newb
I use a turkey bast.Once the bag has floated for 20 to 30 minutes,I use the bast and take out what ever the bast will pick up in one squeeze out of the shipping bag.Then I replace that water with water from my tank.I do that once every 3 minutes untill the salinity in the bag matches my tank.Some times just a few minutes,other times an hour or so.It just depends on how long it takes for the salinity to match up.

I wasn't really careful when I acclimated the conch's I did it real slowly but I never checked the salinity before I acclimated them. If the death was caused by bad acclimation, would they die slowly or instantly?? They were dead the second day they were in the tank.

This may seem like I am over-reacting, but I don't think there is such thing when it comes to this hobby....

Thanks for all of the quick and helpful replys.

Some times how long it takes for them to die,depends on how good their health is when you get them.
I've seen fish and inverts both die instantly when we took them out of the shipping bags at the store.I've also seen fish act healthy for a few days,then all at once their doing their death flop.
If it was me,I would raise the salinity up to 1.025 to 1.026.When you get new livestock,always check the salinity in the bag when you get it home,then slowly acclimate untill whats in the bag perfectly matches whats in your tank.

Back