So….that's bad

DJ_Z

Reefing newb
My tank just got annihilated.

One week ago, I had three chromis, one neon goby, one algae blenny, two clowns, and a six line wrasse in a 40 gallon tank. Today, I have two clowns and a six line wrasse. I am not terribly upset, since the three remaining are my favorite fish, but I have no idea what happened. I found a new one gone every day. I actually never found the final chromis.

I have never seen aggression from those three fish. The water parameters are all safe, salinity was a bit high at but I have corrected this.

I'm not watching 24/7, so I imagine those fish, or my coral banded shrimp, could be bossy when I'm not around…it's just a sad day.

I have a thread about moving my fish and potentially rehoming some from the 40g to a 29g high which has suddenly been made much easier. Still…damn.

8 fish in a 40 gal tank?????????????????????????? way over stocked. 1/2" per gal of water (that full grown size not the size they are when you bought them) and depending on how big your coral banded shrimp is it will kill and eat your fish i had one and i feed it my nem cuz it was going after my fish.

inch per gallon rules are bad ideas, regardless of the ratio. I love lion fish, I would not keep 2, hell even one, in a twenty gallon tank.

I understand that mistakes were made, but I am not posting to be insulted. If you believe my stock is the issue, that's fine. I would like a fourth fish, and based on this most recent fiasco I will be staying at 4 fish with a possible rehoming of the shrimp. But keep the attitude to yourself, laugh in private, and help someone.

I used to have an arc eye hawkfish and returned it to an LFS when I decided to go reef tank. If there is a reef safe kind of hawkfish, I think that would be a great idea. I know someone who wants to trade corals for inverts, I will look to trade the shrimp.

Longnose hawkfish are reef safe but not shrimp safe. It would do fine as long as you don't have any small cleaners or peppermints, etc...unfortunately, I doubt it would take on a coral banded shrimp.

Long nose hawkfish look very nice. So that's my plan. I will trade the shrimp to that individual for coral, and look to buy a hawkfish, or something else perhaps, with a big discount.

In bittersweet news, I also just received an email today from my preferred LFS that they will be closing their doors at the end of this month. Fortunately there are several alternatives in my area, and for this month their livestock will be 30% off!

Back