So I want to build my own sump....

Do you want to build your entire sump from scratch? Have you considered using an old aquarium or a rubbermade tub, and then just putting in the baffles?

Do you want to build your entire sump from scratch? Have you considered using an old aquarium or a rubbermade tub, and then just putting in the baffles?

I definitely want to use an old aquarium, but i mean for the partitions/baffles within that aquarium, how do i get the exact size glass for the pieces that will go inside of the aquarium, or how to obtain an acrylic sheet to cut the specified dimensions myself

Lol, what I mean is, ill have the aquarium for the sump, thats fine

Now in order to put in the partitions, ie. seperate intake, from skimmer, from return, and create baffles, I would need additional pieces of glass or acrylic. What I'm wondering is how do I get those additional peices of glass or acrylic? Who sells them?

Sometimes I word things poorly >.<

I just built a 10g refugium tank about a month ago. I started off w/ a brand new 10g I got at Walmart on sale for $11.99. I went to Home Depot and got 1/4" plexiglass. I came up w/ a general layout for the placement and spacing of the baffles. Then cut to fit and siliconed in place. Make sure you use aquarium silicone. Also, don't worry if you make a cut a little crooked or a little short. Extra silicone can fill in the gaps or wavey cuts. Use CD cases or DVD cases to help with spacing the baffles so they're all even. Let sit and dry for 24hrs and then do a leak test. If no water leaks through the baffles you're good. If there are leaks, empty the tank, dry it well and reseal. Let dry for another 24hrs and do another leak test until there are no more leaks. I'm not sure if you're planning on putting a skimmer in the sump, but make sure you have enough space so it will fit in the section. That goes for the return pump as well.

You can use any silicone that is 100% pure silicone that doesn't contain any anti-microbial or anti-mildew additives. GE Silicone I is a good one.

i want to add a new sump.what size for a 125 gal...mine is to small i couldnt get the skimmer sitting on the bottom of it so i put on a baffle and extended the hoses for the pump and drain?

Use the biggest tank you can fit under your stand, if that's where your sump is located. I use a 55g tank for a sump with my 125, but my sump is below the tank in the basement.

ato3_5-09.jpg

Back