So I was wondering. . .

cms722

Reefing newb
So I've been looking into all the different types of LR out there. Some seem to be more expensive than others. I have a quarry a few hrs from me that actually supplies the rock to all the LFS in the area and sells it for $.50/lb, which is AWESOME. What I'm wondering is, are there different types of generic rock that I can use that is lighter than others? I want to have the most filtration available and was wondering what you guys thought. I was thinking about some Texas Holey Rock, but I know that is pretty dense so I was only going to use it for hiding places. What other types are there? Any input helps. =)

that sounds like fine rock to me, the more porous it is the better though. Its not really about the weight, its more about the surface area.

I would say that stuff would make great base rock, but then i would still get some more of the porous stuff from marcorocks.com

When i started my tank i had mostly base rock and as i figured out, base rock sucks for sticking plugs frags into. Plus the porous stuff is more pleasing to the eye IMO

I think you might mean Fiji Branch Rock.

thumbnail.aspx

Whatever rock you use, you want to make sure it's calcium carbonate based. Some stores sell lava rock, which is not calcium based, and lava rock can leach metals into the water.

I'm not sure what type of rock the quarry has, but you want to make sure it's the right kind before you use it. Aquaculture farms get their live rock from land sources then dump it into the water to make it live.

Back