So many questions.... HELP!

NewReefer

Reefing newb
So, I bought a used 12 gal nano-cube. The fellow I purchased it from kept it alive until he sold it to me. He explained a little about the denitrifying anaerobic bacteria in the sand, and told me to add some live rock and go from there.

When I arrived at my local fish store (lucky goldfish in Oakland CA) the employees set me up with some live rock, some snails (sand snails, trochus snails) some small emerald crabs, and a handful of hermits. In the first week everything went well, the inverts got to work cleaning the algae off the walls, and all seemed well. When the fish store people told me I was ready, I went ahead and got a couple fish. (blue tang + maroon clownfish) after another week I got a starfish (fish store approved) which died within a week. I attributed it to it maybe being sick, but then I started losing more snails. A week later I got a cleaner shrimp, who seemed thrilled in the tank. He/she even molted after a few days in the new tank. I took this as a good sign. After a week, things were still all good, so I gave in to temptation and bought an anemone. The clownfish took to it on day one, but then a few days later my tang got sick and died. I read that only too late that Tangs are so specific with their diet/environment... Soon after I started losing snails fast. I stopped buying any new animals then. Okay, so I got a couple more snails - assuming they could help me clean things up. Some didn't like the transition, some lasted only a little while. Then, to top it off I went away last weekend, and when I came home the shrimp was gone. No sign, no carcass, just gone, as if it had up and walked away.

I do 1 gallon water changes at least once per week.
I keep salinity at .24-.26

I'm afraid maybe my live rock is still curing, and thereby upsetting the balance of the tank, I'm also concerned about the amount of detritus in the tank - especially where the water heater is, in the first chamber. I know I need help, but I don't know what to do. I think my local fish store is selling me anything I'll buy just to make $$$, I don't think they have my or the fishes best interest in mind...

What kind of tests should I be running? What are the best kits?

Should I just back off?

Should I remove the green stringy algae growing from the back wall?

What the heck are those freaky looking tentacles coming up out of the sand(they are long, very thin, white, and smooth - almost like a sand-snails siphon, but longer and thinner - they also seem to like to bite snails.)?

How do I tell the difference between a fireworm and a bristleworm?

I am exhausting myself with all these questions, so I'll stop for now...

Please help!

I can't believe they sold you a tang for a 12 gallon tank! WOW!

It sounds like your rock may have been uncured...possibly you started a cycle when you added it to your tank.

I hope you mean 1.024-1.026 for the specific gravity of your tank and not .24 and .26.

What kind of water are you using for your water changes? If it's tap water that is also an issue!

You can scrape off the algae in your tank...no problem.

I would buy test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, high end pH, calcium, alkalinity, phosphated and maybe even magnesium. You need to at least have the first 5.

Also, the anemone in a 12 gallon is going to be tough with other livestock.

Good luck and read more.....it's the best way to learn!

~RC

I second the WOW on the tang. No way no how should that tang be in ANY tank smaller than a 75 gallon. They require A LOT of swimming space.

Also, no way no how should they have sold you an anemone. Anemones require extremely stable water parameters and established tanks. They will not tolerate any sort of fluctuations in water quality. And if they die, they will kill everything else in the tank with them. I'd take it back to the store ASAP. Anemones are not for beginners.

Now, about that fish store... Find a new one. It sounds like they are only trying to sell you stuff. Your instincts are right on that one.

Most important, do not add any more animals until you figure out what's going on. Anything you add now will likely die. I think one of your problems is that you added too much too fast.

Pick up some basic test kits: Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and alkalinity. Post your results here and we'll go from there.

The tentacles from the sand are probably spaghetti worms, which are reef safe and fine to have. Fireworms are a type of bristleworm, and are usually bright red and silver. Bristleworms are pinkish or brownish. Bristleworms are good to have in your tank.

Oh, and welcome to Living Reefs. I'm glad you stopped by!

Okay, this is helpful.

I have a feeling that I may have indeed started a cycle with the new rocks... what exactly would this mean for me? The rocks have been in for five or six weeks now... some of them still have an awful lot of white surface area...

yes I mean 1.024.

I use seawater purchased from the fishstore for my changes.

With the anemone - its a bubble-tip, and I did recently read something about it growing up to 12" - which could indeed be a problem in a 12" tank... Also - my fish store guy told me to keep my lights off. He told me this while I was buying my anemone, told me max 2 hours/day.

I really only want to have the anemone, the clownfish, maybe one other fish, and some corals... any suggestions?

I third the tang in a 12 gallon.Unbelievable because Blue tangs should be housed in 125g. and up.I think you need to slow way down and figure out whats going on before adding anything.Anemone and shrimp needs more stable environment meaning a more mature system.Yes ,you need to pick up test kits for ammonia,nitrite,nitrate and pH.API makes a master kit with those 4 test and is about the least expensive I seen....about $20 from Petsmart/Petco.Eventually you will need other test(calcium,akalinity etc) when you get into corals provided you have the lights.

Welcome

Also, no way no how should they have sold you an anemone. Anemones require extremely stable water parameters and established tanks. They will not tolerate any sort of fluctuations in water quality. And if they die, they will kill everything else in the tank with them. I'd take it back to the store ASAP. Anemones are not for beginners.

Most important, do not add any more animals until you figure out what's going on. Anything you add now will likely die. I think one of your problems is that you added too much too fast.

Thank you. Sadly, the fish store employees were the ones who told me what I was ready to add and when I would be ready to add it.
Maybe should I replace the snails though? I wouldn't want to let the algae get out of hand?

And about the bristleworms, they've all been pinkish with a section of black in the middle... and do you mean that even fireworms are good for a tank?

And by the way, thank you for the kind welcome. I've been a little intimidated about joining... so thank you.

Also, there is some light-green algae growing on my live rock. My instinct is to scrub it off... but with what? toothbrush? and if so, should I take it out of the tank to do it?

NewReefer you really shouldnt be intimidated by the peeps here I was too at first I dont even have a salty tank and they have been more than helpful already and Im just in the planning stage. These people are all a wealth of knowledge and the sarchasism and banter is funny as hell, theyre a tight knit family that welcome all who are willing to listen. PS ive only been a member for 2weeks and Im already addicted heavily to the forum.

Welcome to the forum!
Dont worry about the algae when all the water parameters are correct it will wither away to nothing it always happens in saltwater over and over lol. For the anemone they definently told you wrong about the lights an anemone is just like a coral except that it is a motile invert instead of sessile basicly meaning its mobile. Here is some reading that i recently found and enjoyed reading it explains why there is algae problems and how to fix them.
Nuisance Algae in the Reef Aquarium - Part 1

Nuisance Algae in the Reef Aquarium - Part 2

Nuisance Algae in the Reef Aquarium - Part 3

Im glad you posted here. It seems that your LFS just wants your money and doesnt care about your fish.
Defiantly do what Biff said and pick up a test kit. I wouldnt scrape off the alge . I have not scraped of any alge other than red alge( bad stuff)
I wish I had a tank for a tang, but yeah that tank is defianly too small to have one.
Did you redo the tank and start with new water or did it come with water. Just let your tank cycle and keep close eye on all of the stuff (pH and alk and such like that.)
This hobby is horrible for me, because im impatient. You must learn to be paitent with it.
Welcome to the forums, and dont hesitate to ask any questions. I have asked many and im so thankful that I did because it helped me keep everything in my tank alive and running well.

Fireworms are not good for a tank.Your decription sounds like it is reef-safe.Actually 99.9% of bristleworms are safe,so you have a good chance that yours is safe.

You can scrub the green algae off with a toothbrush.Do it in a container separate from the display and don't use freshwater.Honestly,in most cases it will go away on its own once your system matures and becomes more stable.

Right now, the algae is the least of your problems. Algae won't hurt anything, it's just ugly. Let's focus on water quality and keeping animals alive first, then getting rid of the algae will follow.

That anemone will not survive with 2 hours of lighting per day. Definitely take it back. Anemones require stronger lighting than most corals; they are one of the most light intensive animals you can put in your tank.

#1 Welcome to the reef.

#2 Take the rotten tang carcuss and the anemone back to the store and find the dude that sold em to you.The shove em where his sun dont shine.

What killed the tang,IMO, is being in a 12 gallon nano.That LFS knew that.They took your money knowing full well the tang was going to stress and die.
They know that 2 hours of light a day will not keep that anemone alive.Again,they just took you for a ride.
Dont even add a snail untill you run tests for ammonia,nitrite,and nitrates and post the results here.

We've all made mistakes and impulse buys.That happens to everybody.But it just flames my hind end when a store takes a newby for a ride like that.

And dont add any anemone to a 12 gallon tank.Tanks that small just are not stable enough no matter how well their maintained.

Last edited:
Back