soft corals

Dachsx2

Reefing newb
Hi

I am a new member and would like to ask a question about my soft tree coral.
It is a fairly new acquisition (about 2 months) and last week I noticed a small creature that appears to be living on it. This creature is about 1/2" long, white and looks very similar to the coral that it is living on. I first noticed it going along the side of the tank but then noticed it on the coral itself. On closer inspection I found that there was not 1 but 3 of these creatures. I have looked in all of my reference books but can find no information or pictures. I was wondering if anyone else knows what these things are and if they are harmful or not.

Thank you

it is almost impossible to say what you might have, however, what comes to mind is possibly nubibranchs. may be feeding on your coral. hard to say. post picture if you can. if you cannot identify, recommend to remove on the side of caution. my thoughts alone.

soft tree coral

Thank you so much. Your reply was very helpful. They are nudibranchs. I found a picture on the web of reficulidia halgerda.
Unfortunately there are too many of them now to remove from the coral and as they are eating it anyway and the coral does not look very happy I have decided to remove it from my tank to safeguard my other corals.

if you have not had this problem before, the nubibranchs generally come into the system on their food source, maybe you could get the coral exchanged. good luck. normally the nubi's will only exist while their food of choice is available. most are specialized feeders. best of luck glad we could help.

also try to read up ont he type it is.you may want to get rid of it is muching on the coral,but be careful they are very toxic.If squished or dies it could cause problems for your tank.Try suctioning off the coral.

Back