some fish info...

salt newbie01

Reefing newb
Well I have added a 58 gallon RR tank to my marine addiction. It will be the new homw for my favorite coral, LPS. I am doing this to make it easier to feed these beautiful corals without having to fight off all the fish, shrimp and crabs that are in my 75 gallon tank. I will be looking for a couple small "timid" type fish that I may be able to house with these corals without impeading my efforts to feed them. I will also be looking for some new fish I might be able to add to my 75 once I remove those corals.

In the 58 gallon I was thinking about;

purple firefish
bar goby
maybe a rainford goby
and a bunch of snails.

In the 75 I wanted to add a flame angel. I know these can and will nip at lps but I will be moving most of the lps to the 58. Does anyone know if they will nip at hammer, torch and frogspawn corals? Those are the three corals I don't know what to do with. I will be keeping the anemone and both gold stripe maroon clowns in the tank. And also the large spaghetti leather. The only other corals that may be in there will be zoas. I thought if I was moving most of the corals out I might try to keep some cool fish that I might not try to keep with all the lps in there. I had also thought about a banghai cardinal in one of the tanks.

I am looking for some ideas from all you guys/girls. It will be a couple weeks before the 58 is ready to go, just in time for Christmas!! I hope ya'll can help me with some ideas, I would like to put some cool fish in there.

Oh and thanks to Bryan for help moving and setting up the tank. It is the most gently used tanks I have ever bought. And that stand you built will last 1000 years!! Now that's quality furniture. :bowdown: :bowdown:

Sorry Bryan I had to stop. It was getting so thick on my nose I couldn't breathe!!!

Seriously, Thanks for all the help. And it is a beautiful stand!!

Get the firefish for sure they are cool little passive fish. Gobies and blennies are always an option(most species anyways). Congrats on the new tank my friend, and good luck with it!

the angel is a bad idea! Unless your willing to catch him. I think he would be a bigger threat to your zoos than anything else. Gobies are always a good direction as far a passive fish go. cardinals are slower fish to, but as you know when big arnt a good match for a small goby.
You can pour as much of that brown nosing as you can handle, I dont get it at home!:mrgreen: Hope things work well for you

Can't go wrong with gobies, most of them. I really don't have to much sucess with Firefish, but my Bluespotted Watchman is by far the best fish I've owned.

Personally I have never had a problem with flame, potters,or multicolors, on the other fin, lemon peels and brazillian flame backs are the worst nippers, your always taking a chance, and every fish has its own personality, but as long as you have enough growth in the tank, ie algae,sponges etc, and feed the tank well, you should have a fairly high chance of success with a flame, open brain corals are usually in the most danger , the angels love em for some reason

Fishtails said:
Can't go wrong with gobies, most of them. I really don't have to much sucess with Firefish, but my Bluespotted Watchman is by far the best fish I've owned.

What problems have you been having? Have you been trying to keep them with fairly aggressive fish? dottybacks, blennies? In smaller tanks those fish will cause constant terror to firefish, in larger tanks its pretty much a non issue, but 40 gallons or smaller it can usually be a problem. It also helps to introduce the firefish first, and the more agressive critters last, if you put them in first, they will claim your entire tank as their territory, and turf wars will abound

I have a flame angel in mine as well and it's never bothered anything.
I think with most angels it's all about how well adjusted they are to aquarium life.
Tank raised fish do not pose as much of a threat because they've never known that "other stuff" was edible.

Reinfinity said:
I have a flame angel in mine as well and it's never bothered anything.
I think with most angels it's all about how well adjusted they are to aquarium life.
Tank raised fish do not pose as much of a threat because they've never known that "other stuff" was edible.

Good to see you back!! You still working 24/7?? Hope it is slowing down a little for you.

I think I am going to try one. Once I get all my LPS out of the tank!! If it eats some zoas or spaghetti leather it wouldn't be that bad. :mrgreen: If it gets too bad I'll just tear down the whole tank and chatch it...its not that big a deal!! :grumble:

Good to see you back!! You still working 24/7??
Not exactly... btw.. good to see you too Patrick.
Look at my post in the private section for more info on what's going on but thanks for the warm welcome... it's good to be back.

Well I have begun to narrow down my fish list. Thanks for the input from everyone. .

Lets see what ya'll think about these choices. If anyone see's any red flags please let me know.

in the 75

mated pair gold stripe maroon clowns, hosting in large green bubble tip
1 blue/green reef chromis ( would like to add mor but I'm afraid they would just fight ) might try adding 2-3 small and see if it works out.

want to add;
rainford goby
some type of blennie
flame angel
either pseudochromis fridmani or black cap basslet

in the 58 which has nothing right now

want to add;
purple fire fish
rainford goby
tail spot blennie
bangai cardnal
would like to add a bar goby but I don't know how it would get a long with the rainford goby or the purple fire fish.

Im not sure how that flame angel will be in a reef tank!:mrgreen: Wow dejavu! I feel like ive been here before?:12:

go for the fridmani, very cool,and if its captive bred will be very peaceful and wont hide much, you can also keep multiples if they are tank bred. Black caps are awesome fish, I dont know if they breed them now or not, if they are wild caught, I wouldnt get one simply because they will suffer in a home reef environment, they are a deeper water fish, and they prefer much cooler temps, they can also get very aggressive, if you do get one, add it last to help avoid conflicts, I would also suggest a hawk fish of some type, peaceful and very personable fish,similar to a bi color blennie in personality and the arc eye can be bought locally for under 20 bucks

Back