Something is off

squibley2

Reefing newb
Something is off with my tank

I just tested tonight and got some strange numbers.

PH 8.3, Nitite 0, Ammo 0, Nitrate 20, Calc 360, Alk 7.2dKH/2.45meq/L, Sal 1.023

Any help would be nice

the ever growing battle of nitrates in a small reef.Mine have been getting better with introduction of the HOB refugium I added.Calcium and alk are a little low.Are you dosing with any buffer yet.Kalk would be an option but can be painfull with a small tank.I am using these two products with good success
Reef Advantage Calcium and Reef Builder
http://seachem.com/products/reef.html.

Temp was also out of wack for some reason I think the house got really hot cause my sister came home and jacked up the heat. I did a 25% water change now and am waiting an hour to test again and see where I am at. I have never had a problem with nitrates before they have been at 0 for 2 months. I think one of the crabs or snails must have died and I didn't see it. I will let you know what the new tests come back as. I also have not been adding anything to buffer the Alk due to the fact that I have never had it drop before. I use tap water for my water changes and that usually makes up the Alk I need. I am using Kent Liquid Calc for the Calc.

I use bionic 2 part calc and alk. Works great so far. The hermit or snail dieing wouldnt cause the nitrate spike. If anything died big enough, it would probably kick some ammonia up first.

your alk is off needs to be at least 8 and your calcium is to low also need to be 400-450 how often are u doing water changes more then likely wy you cant get it right but like he said tank of that size are almost imposable to keep where u want and for nitrate thats not that bad ive been at 35ppm before just to see what happens everything was fine for over to months 0ppm its not going to always be there i keep my now from 0-5ppm but that only because of my skimmer its a g-2 as long as all your other stuff stays balance you well be fine i cant tell u how much money i lost trying to get there in my 40gal ha what a joke go bigger its much easyer i got 70gal now im geting a 400 gal remenber the bigger the easyer

Last edited:
Back