Soon to be ex Tropical

Winged Keel

Ocean Spray
Hi Everyone, just about to totally pull apart my 220Litre cubed tank, to be converted into a saltwater set up using a sump system. Although I have been told today that I could still use my canister filter, but just run it with a top quality skimmer system? My aim with this tank is to have a reef system with corals and fish. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

In my opinion, you should disconnect the canister and keep it to run some carbon later on.
If you keep it, it will build up crap and detritus in the balls, and without regular cleaning can harm your tank with trates.

howdy and welcome to the site..:D

definately dont use the cannister just going to be a nitrate factory for you...
get the sump running from the start with a good return from it with some macro algae in a refugium and a good skimmer and enough liverock.... Couple other things to think about when setting it up is water movement (powerheads) and lighting...

welcome to the site!!!
i currently run a fluval 405 on my 75 gal fowlr...however should you consider continuing the use of the canister you would have to do a good cleaning of it at least monthly if not more. The media i have in there now is foam, biomax ceramic rings, and carbon but will be switching out the biomax to phosphate removers when i get back from deployment. I also like the canister b/c it gives another source of waterflow besides my vortech mp40 while I wait to get another one set up on the other side of my tank. Most ppl will say that a sump/fuge is the best set up...I did not have enough room under my tank to accomodate another one or a diy one b/c of the make of my stand and b/c I have curious cats that can get behind my stand and possibly interfere with things lol. As long as you are willing to keep up with the maintenance with a canister there is no reason why you can't put one in your tank....however it is a personal preference and completely up to you...I do believe there is a thread somewhere on the forum that lists the pros/cons of the different filter types. With a reef with corals your gonna need t5 lights or better I believe so better start saving now lol depending on the brand you go with and how you are going to set them up. That's just my 2 cents though and I'm sure there are a few ppl who would like to slap me upside the head for running a canister ;)

Thanks for the info. I have room for a sump in the cabinet!! I forgot to mention I'm already running a Metal Halide light in the tropical tank, so that should be fine for the saltwater set up.Can cross that expense of the growing list lol.

Hi! I agree with what has been said already, a sump/skimmer setup is far superior to a canister filter, but keep the filter to run carbon or other media periodically.

Welcome. I'm no pro but everything I've read says you can use your canister with the right media. People say not to use power filters but I've seen nice reefs with no sump at all. I think people tend to nay say because the sump is a lot easier and adds stability to a system. Sometimes you just need to be open, follow strict practice and read a lot. Good luck.

You absolutely can use a canister. You just have to clean it every two or three days, which is a lot of hassle.
Canisters and sumps isn't an "either/or" thing.

No matter what kind of filter you'd have to clean your bio media, or your filter wool or pads or whatever collects detritus. All filters do the same functions just on different scales. Don't get me wrong i think a sump is excellent (easy access, diversified filtration, larger system volume) I have one myself, but the hassle can be the same. In short, if you are thorough and knowledgeable, you'll be successful.

When I say "sump" I mean "sump/fuge". My tank doesn't have any filter media whatsoever. The only thing I have to do is empty the skimmer cup.

No matter what kind of filter you'd have to clean your bio media, or your filter wool or pads or whatever collects detritus. All filters do the same functions just on different scales. Don't get me wrong i think a sump is excellent (easy access, diversified filtration, larger system volume) I have one myself, but the hassle can be the same. In short, if you are thorough and knowledgeable, you'll be successful.

That's why all filters are a hassle and I don't recommend using them.

Sumps and protein skimmers don't use any bio media or pads. So you eliminate that constant hassle of cleaning.

If you have filter pads and media in your sump, you don't strictly have a sump. You have a wet/dry system or a trickle system. I would advise avoiding those types of systems too, for that same reason.

Very true. Just saying you don't need them. Some people can't afford this expensive equipment and if you keep up with the stuff that is more work you can get away without paying a lot. It's good to have both sides of the spectrum to make a decision off of.

Re: Soon to be 'EX' tropical

Hi,

Thanks for the info. After listening to you guys and reading heaps, I really think that the sump is the way to go, especially if I don't want to be limited to what I can do in the tank.

Cheers!!:sfish:

Back