Speaking of Crabs?

jhenby

Reefing newb
I just had a similar problem with an Emerald crab.I purchased one at my LFS in which he was a little larger than the others in the tank. I had heard and read that they were reef safe and friends had quite a few in their tank with no problems. After purchasing a nice large hammer coral and some finger leather coral I noticed within a few days they seemed to be a little shrivelled on one side.I woke up this morning to see the little crab...with the leather in his claw trying to retreat into the rocks for his lunch?...I immediately removed him. Then noticed a few Zoa polyps were gone too...Has anyone else ever experienced this?......I like watching the little scavengers...but eating coral?....I don't know whether it was just a maniac rogue or ? Should I try again?

This is what a coral eating crab looks like.

crab_10-20-08.jpg

I have a truly huge emerald crab and he's never touched my toadstools or xenias. Worst he does is wave at fish when they get too close.

Sorry but that's the only pic I have...The only thing I noticed on him was that his pincers were kinda straight rather than curved or rounded like the others and his shell looked like it had plates? Oh well ...I don't think I'll test the waters again with one...Thanks:frustrat:

If the pinchers are straight,then its not an emerald.Emerald crabs have curved pinchers that form little cups on the tips for grasping algae.
Straight pointed pinchers are used for cutting flesh,and are a sing that the crab is a predator.

Back