splash shield?

SalteeDogg

Reefing newb
got my lights up and I noticed that water is splashing up onto the bulbs. Will this hurt anything? Do I need to make a splash guard?

what type of fixture do you have? most come with an acryic splash lens nowadays. if yours has that it shouldn't hurt too much. you will just have to clean it off every now and then. what do you have thats causing the water to splash that high anyway? are you using an airstone?

If you have halides, this will be a big problem. Fishbait is right, try to find out what's causing the water to splash so much.

the skimmer shoots water out and I guess the air pockets that come out make the water come off the surface a little, its kind of hard to explain. The fixtures not anything expensive it was made for a canopy I think.

I would add a splash guard anyway.Water on bulbs is never good,and the last thing you want is glass and the chemicals inside the bulb getting into your tank.

are you running the water level high enough so the water doesn't crash in the tank when exiting the skimmer? if not, try adding more water, that should cut down on it a lot.

yeah I have done tried that, the air bubbles come out and hit the surface and pop making it drizzle up to the bulb. I HATE my bak pak skimmer its always done that and it has a built in bubble trap so makes no sense.

Sounds to me like its time to up-grade to a Coralife Super Skimmer.

It's alot better than the bacpak, but still make alot of microbubbles. Atleast for me anyway. I have it in the sump now so I have no bubbles in the tank.

It's just the way the water comes out of the Bak-Pak. Same way my CPR refugium is. The microbubbles, they will go away in a few days after the skimmer breaks in. Give it some time.

After it breaks in, there will be hardly any microbubbles. But, the way that thing is designed, you are going to have some large bubbles--about 1/4" size. They don't splash a helluva lot. No way to stop it. It's just the design.

Back