Sponge Corals

mach1ray

Reefing newb
I really like the way the look, but, have never had any success with them. They usually disolve/die out on me. Any suggestios?

They can never touch air, normally shipped in a full bag of water that then has to be released in your tank under the water. I believe they pull all of their food from the water column but im sure there is a way to spot feed them.

They tend to require mature, established tanks because they are intensive filter feeders. In newer tanks, there just isn't the life in the water established enough to keep them fed. They are also non-photosynthetic, so if you have them in strong lighting, that can kill them (they are not corals at all -- they are simply sponges). Some of them (generally the brighter colored ones) are just really really hard to keep alive in any tank.

When you have had yours, have you added food to the water for them (like phyto)?

well thats not going to work for me Biffer. My tank has been up and running for years, but I do have strong lighting. Thanks for the correction about it not being corals. Any help in keeping my foot out of my mouth is appreciated. :)

I now know my err was exposing them to air from bag to tank.

I now know my err was exposing them to air from bag to tank.

Yes, that can do it with most sponges. Air gets in their cells and then the cells gradually die off. Even so, if you do everything right with these guys, there's still a good chance that they will kick the bucket.

Back