spot feeding Corals

Jmck

Reef enthusiast
Ok, I've had my corals for about a week, and I heard of people spot feeding there corals?

Is this something that I MUST be doing, or is just recommended? and do all corals need to be spot fed?

Ive got a:
duncan
leather
long tenticled plate coral
torch
mushroom
zoo

which ones of these should i spot feed and how and what do i spot feed them with?

The torch,duncans and plate coral will accept mysis shrimp.I use the frozen cube variety.all the others don't need any feeding.I spot feed 2-3 times a week.

Alright thats awesome :) so only a few, ill get on that, cause it sounds like spot feeding is fairly cool :D

Ive been feeding my tank, but I havent seen anything close up for a meal or look like its eating! in time i guess ill see it though :)

Ive been feeding my tank, but I havent seen anything close up for a meal or look like its eating! in time i guess ill see it though :)

Try turning the flow off while spot feeding.Most of us use a turkey baster or something similar.

When I feed my Duncans and the Frogspawn, I just stick the tip of the turkey baster right at the edge of it's tentacles. Squeeze enough so the mysis is just at the tip and just touching the tentacles. Then the coral usually grabs it on its own and shuffles it towards its mouth.

It's pretty neat to watch.

Hey Jmck, Do you have any idea how much we yanks pay for Aussie corals? I recently saw a little Aussie frag the size of my pinky finger for $600 US!

My corals luv orange sushi roe.

Hey Jmck, Do you have any idea how much we yanks pay for Aussie corals? I recently saw a little Aussie frag the size of my pinky finger for $600 US!

Haha, that is just waaaaay too much hey, what aussie coral is it you tried to pickup?

and thanks for all the help, ill get into spot feeding these guys quite soon :)

Does freeze-dried vs. frozen make a difference when spot feeding the corals?

It all depends on the corals.Some corals the smaller the plankton the better.I do use Reef Roid and cyclopeeze which both are freeze dried micro-plankton for my goniopora.Even the torch,hammer and frogspawn will take it as well.

Sens, I would say we do get it cheaper here, I am yet to see a coral at 600 dollars a pop. But I am also quite new to the reef business so some of these corals might be quite rare from the reef, So this might be a reason for the high cost. Im unsure, either way, I wont be paying that much for a single frag!

A lot of the reason we such high cost in corals over here,is because of all the shipping and customs the corals have to go through before they even get to a wholesaler.Then that wholesaler got to make their money back plus some profit to pay for their overhead.So that cost gets passed onto to the LFS who in return passes it on us.

I dont spot feed mine. Those corals mentioned get all they need from the lighting and water column. Some of my corals are 11+ yrs old.

Back