Sps Growth... Wow

koda_dad

Mr. Paranoid
Just starting to notice how much some of my sps are growing..

Here is one of the sps I noticed.

Sept /10
IMG_9612_web.jpg

Yesterday
3c1f79b5.jpg

Hope this continues :)

That is some very NICE growth you have on that coral. What's the name of the sps in the picture? I want to try to gain more knowledge in coral types/names.

Ok, now this is really going to show how new I and my guy are to reefing and saltwater all together so hope you don't mind the "stupid" questions what is sps and what am I looking for in the pictures above, am trying to learn about all that I can. We have a "new" used 65 gal and are still cycling it after 6 mths. We would get through one problem and develope another, the most recent was a green hairy algae growth, have turned the lights off after scrubbing and scrubbing the rocks and getting no where and finally read an article of turning off the lights seems to have done the trick with one rock still trying to grow but not getting far. anyway we have one peppermint shrimp, snails, sandsifting gobbie, cream with pink dots. two flame tail gobies? ? ? and rock about 15 lbs.

Ok, now this is really going to show how new I and my guy are to reefing and saltwater all together so hope you don't mind the "stupid" questions what is sps and what am I looking for in the pictures above, am trying to learn about all that I can. We have a "new" used 65 gal and are still cycling it after 6 mths. We would get through one problem and develope another, the most recent was a green hairy algae growth, have turned the lights off after scrubbing and scrubbing the rocks and getting no where and finally read an article of turning off the lights seems to have done the trick with one rock still trying to grow but not getting far. anyway we have one peppermint shrimp, snails, sandsifting gobbie, cream with pink dots. two flame tail gobies? ? ? and rock about 15 lbs.

SPS stands for Small Polyp Stony coral. What you're looking at is the successful growth of the coral in the OP's pictures. As you can see, it really grew like a bush.

15 pounds of live rock in a 6 month cycled tank? o.O

Hello and welcome. You may want to start your own thread with your questions -- it will get more answers.

You definitely need more rock in a 65 gallon tank. Aim for at least 1 to 2 lbs per gallon -- so 65 to 130 lbs. Rock will serve as your main source of biological filtration, which will help with the algae problem (which stems from nutrients in the water). Also what type of water are you using -- tap or RODI?

Thank you Bifferwine. We are gradually putting things in the 65 gal. tank, have been afraid the green hairy algae would take over the new rock, we have the hairy algae on the run I think as we turned off the lights and only put them on long enough to feed the two flame tails we have in there plus the cleaner shrimp, and sifter gobbie. Will probably put in more rock this coming weekend and the place where we are getting our stuff is working with us on getting this tank up and running as he is very knowledgeable of all this and he suggests to wait and make sure all is going well and in about a week to put the lights on longer than just the feeding time and see if algae stays away. We also have a 10 gal that we are now changing over to a reef only tank as the fish keep dying in there even though we change out the water weekly. But still would like to know what is a SPS, thank you for your help on this. Still learning, and loving it.:question::sfish:

SPS stands for Small Polyp Stony coral. What you're looking at is the successful growth of the coral in the OP's pictures. As you can see, it really grew like a bush.

15 pounds of live rock in a 6 month cycled tank? o.O

Here you go... Small Polyp Stony coral

Back