star fish

NewBeeMommy1

Reefing newb
ok i got a new rock like last week and it has some nice watermelon crush shrooms on it....well when i was looking at it the other day and i saw all kinds of white and black brittle star legs sticking out everywhere.... and they are tiny,,,,is that what they are...and how did they get there....they never come all the way out to eat,,just a leg or too

that got there in the ocean and just hitch hiked there way to your tank, they will probably never come completely outta the rock, and they are good so just let them be

well at 1st i thought worms ,,,so i got out the twessers(sp?) and tried to get it and it was a star fish leg.....but i've seen that one part out and its still alive

that got there in the ocean and just hitch hiked there way to your tank, they will probably never come completely outta the rock, and they are good so just let them be

i have hundreds in my tank and I actually witnessed a spawning event with them. it was amazing. lights were almost out and all of a sudden i notice that my rocks looked wierd so i went over to the tank to check it out and there were hundreds of these guys completely out of the rock and they would stand on the tips of thier arms with thier body in the water and relese all thier "good stuff" it was amazing i couldnt believe it when it was happening. one of those rare joys you have with reef tanks.

the stars are very good for your system, as are worms. best bet is to just keep the tweezers away from the tank at all times. most things are best left alone unless its an invasive dangerous species of animal like a mantis shrimp or something.

Listen to Alexander.
Those little brittle stars are a great addition to your tank.As are 99.9% of the worms you'll find.

:h5: It takes time to make a new reefer believe in worms yote. Its funny my lfs actually sells a bristleworm trap. Only way I can ever justify taking one out is if its over a foot long.

my LFS thinks they are worms from hell and they call me everytime they catch one! lucky me eh! only thing is that the worm never makes it to the bottom of the tank, triggers seem to love bristle worms!

:h5: It takes time to make a new reefer believe in worms yote. Its funny my lfs actually sells a bristleworm trap. Only way I can ever justify taking one out is if its over a foot long.

If mine hit a foot long,They still get to stay:D
Unless of course I happen to catch it munching on a coral.

yeah i have only pulled one worm out in the entire time i have had my tank. it was about 13 inches long and it was when i was moving my tank to a new house. i figured i would get rid of it since it would be harder later on if it did become a problem. other than that i love seeing worms doing their dirty work in my tank.

Back