Star ID

The more research I do I think it may have been either a cushion star or a spiny star. It had little spikey things all over its top.

Some other options for a reef safe star are serpent, brittle, and linkas. The linkas are hard to keep longterm unless you have a huge tank and the green brittles are bad. They eat fish so stay away from them.

Yep thats the animal bobby cushion(bahama) starfish it is. Woohoo its not reef safe...Janell will be thrilled

I thought brittle's were reef safe. Was this just a freak thing or do they frequent the clam bar? I want clams more than stars...

Well,after plenty of time to research and think about it.I probably falsely accused the stars of killing the clams.Because at the time I had a copperband butterfly and their favorite food is clam.
So now I think the stars was just finishing the left overs.

Aren't chocolate chip stars light brown with dark spikes(chips)? Hence the name?

351_chocochipstar987654321.jpg

Thanks Yote. That fits in line with what I have read on them. It sounds like more often than not, stars find and consume dead and dying animals in the tank and then get blamed for their death when more likely they are just efficient opportunity feeders. I am planning to get a brittle and a serpent and I will hope for the best that they will be peaceful.

Hopefully one of the more veteran reefers will confirm, you should be good with brittles or serpents.

Of the more common, Stay away from:
Sand sifting - will undo all of the good in your sand by consuming all live bacteria.
Chocolate chip - will eat corals
linkia (especially the blue) - will likely die within their first month as they are VERY difficult to keep.
red general/red african (Protoreaster linckii) - will eat inverts
Marbled - requires excellent water quality and established tank with suspended algae growth invisible to the naked eye that

If you don't plan on having any inverts or expensive corals then you might be able to have some of these but be sure to do your homework BEFORE buying.

Last edited:
Thanks Yote. That fits in line with what I have read on them. It sounds like more often than not, stars find and consume dead and dying animals in the tank and then get blamed for their death when more likely they are just efficient opportunity feeders. I am planning to get a brittle and a serpent and I will hope for the best that they will be peaceful.

Just stay away from the green brittles.They can and will catch healthy fish to feed on.

Brittle and serpent stars are the best stars to keep in a reef tank. They are great cleaners and cool to watch. Some predator fish will eat them though, so make sure your fish are compatible.

Wow someone unburyed this monster! This was my first trip ever to a saltwater only fish store. Haha memories.

Back