Starfish and Puffers?

12ironaman

Reefing newb
How come every informational page I read for spotted puffers or valentini puffer fish say they will eat starfish but every forum I read they always say they live happily together?

wow funny thing is i was looking at the same puffer for my 29 lol, just worried about it eating my blood shrimp or if i get a clam eventually i dont want it to nip at em

sry to argue with you north but everywhere ive seen says these specific puffers (valentini puffer) are ok in 30s ,only one place i read that said minimum 40g . adult size this little guys is about 4 inches , so i think it wuld be ok in mine , i actually just started looking at them yesterday , i always thoght puffers needed 75 gallons plus some even 100+, but these seem to stay small and are the preferred with smaller tanks

Hmmm. I went to my LFS today to see if they recommended any small fish since I want to try to get one more fish in my tank so I have at least two but I like my damsel so I asked for suggestions and he suggested Valentini puffer which surprised me since I had a star but he was saying that would be a good choice... I want to go to a different LFS to get their opinion as well though but the Valentinis sound like they have a fun personality.

Sorry to say, but no invert is safe in a tank with a puffer. It's their natural food sources in the wild. They also use the inverts exoskeleton to file/trim down their teeth.

sry to argue with you north but everywhere ive seen says these specific puffers (valentini puffer) are ok in 30s ,only one place i read that said minimum 40g . adult size this little guys is about 4 inches , so i think it wuld be ok in mine , i actually just started looking at them yesterday , i always thoght puffers needed 75 gallons plus some even 100+, but these seem to stay small and are the preferred with smaller tanks

That is only if you are keeping them without invertebrates.

My vary first tank when I move out on my own back in 2002 was a green spotted puffer tank. It started as a 30g with 2 puffers and 3 crabs. Then it became a 120g with 6 puffers 10 crabs and 25 giant turbo snails. Then the kids got a bit bigger and they went in to a 250g all with in the 1st year. I loved my puffers tank most of all. The puffers I had were brackish but I weaned them to mostly salt by the time they got to the 250g. So I say if you have a spare tank that's 30 or 29g do up a pair of green spotted puffers. Or just one but you can do it just keep in mind if you do this with the greens. They get a bout as big or just over the size of a buissness card so in time they will need a new home. I kind of miss my tanks when I lived in Ohio. :'(

I found a baby starfish in my tank the other day ..... I have 3 sand sifting Starfish and was wondering how starfish have baby's , are they born live of hatch from eggs ......... Can I expect to see more then just one?

Hello and Welcome Shaggy

That would be a micro brittle star or an asternia star. Also I would return those starfish, its highly unlikely you have enough sand bed to support one sand shifting starfish, let alone 3.

Back