Starfish???

it all depends on lighting. I havent had much luck in my rock tank, can only keep a chocalatechip alive in there

Weather or not a star is hard to keep,depends on what type of star it is.
They typical serpent and brittles are fairly easy.Their nocternal and feed after the lights are off for the night.
The prettier Linkias should be left in the ocean.They hardly ever survive longer than a month in our tanks.
Just research the ones you like.If your not sure then,post about em.

Umm lighting has nothing to do with keeping starfish, so I'm kinda confused about that answer :)

Brittle stars and serpent stars are reef safe and easy to keep. Those, IMO are the only commonly found starfish that should be kept. Stay away from sand sifting stars, they usually starve to death pretty quickly. And chocolate chip stars, they are not reef safe. But you should be good to go adding a brittle or serpent star with your cleaner crew. They are an essential element to a good cleaning crew.

Formia, marble, and Linkia, usually end up turning into mush rather quickly. The nicer ones require special acclimation and lot of film algae to survive. Also, water quality has to be perfect. Doesn't make since to me, perfect water but still needs algae. Thats probably why they die.

Back