Started vodka dosing.

bobby

I like to do bad things.
Well I had my tank up for sale for a while, and no one interested in buying the whole thing, just parts. Any way I decided to just keep it and devote it to just my clowns and a anemone or two, but before I did that I needed to bring my trates down. My three year old kit says I have 80 PPM, but I think it's reading double because of age.

To bring the trates down I decided to try vodka instead of doing a ton of water change. ( I do 5 gal a week and didn't want to do 20 plus a week) I started last sunday and haven't noticed a drop yet, but I have to say the water has NEVER been sooo clear. Looking in the tank now makes everything soo crisp and clear. I noticed before after a water change when I looked at the removed water in a bucket it had a yellow tinge to it, but now it's just perfectly clear.

Will check the trates today or tomarrow and update everyone. I just thought I would start this thread to 1 have a log for myself, and 2 to show my success/horror story whichever may happen, so anyone else who wants to try can benefit from my attempt. I'll be sure to let you guys know. BTW I followed this write up to the T. I'm now on day 8 and added the .5MM to my double does. Vodka Dosing by 'Genetics' and 'Stony_Corals' - Reefkeeping.com

I've never tried this in my tank.

I will be vodka dosing myself tonight though. ;)

Keep us posted I would be interested to see how this works......

I'm testing right now for the first time since I started. When I started it was about 80PPM I'll know in 4 more minutes.LOL I think it takes longer than a week though to start.

The funniest part of dosing is explaining to the people at the liquor store why it has to be 80 proof.LOL You should have seen the looks on their faces.

:) lol I get weird looks sometimes when I go to the grocery store and ask for 3 uncooked shrimp from the meat department... They are always like "are you the only one eating these? " "no its for my octopus" :D

Test is done, and I'm pretty surprised.The test is saying 40 now, and I haven't done a water change since I started to see if it's really the vodka. I tested a couple times before I started and the results were always the same. This is the first test since I started. I will test again to make sure it's consistant.

Test two is done, and it's also at 40. I have to say I'm pretty excited and suprised. I didn't think it would happen this fast.

A while ago I lost all my SPS except one orange monti that bleached and and started getting coraline on it. It was still alive because I could see some bleached polyps still showing. While dosing the polyps have more than doubled and are orange again. Hopefully the coral itself starts turning orange again and makes a come back. No other difference in any other coral though. If anything they're a tiny shad brighter and extended a hair more.

I will keep up with updates on the dosing.

HAHA What ever it take. Have to go get a sack next and start blowing into the tank.....Or set the sump up ans a water bong. Man think of the possible coral fattening!

Actually the amount of vodka added is very tiny. Start at 0.1ml per 25 gal. I was thinking when I started I don't know how 2 tenths of a ml will do anything to a 50 gal tank.LOL

I tested my trates two days ago and it looked like they were at 20 but it was very hard to tell by the color. Might have been at around 30. I check in another couple days and report back.

i have been thinking of doing some vodka or sugar dosing i am glad to hear it is working for you how do your corals look after dosing vodka better or worse?

Everything looks fine and to be unbothered at all. Only thing that looked bad was my duncan, but I think the trates finally got to it. I also have a candy cane and frogspawn type coral in there and they're doing fine. Only SPS still alive ( orange cap) is looking alot better.

Back