Starting a Maintence Business

UnderwaterWorld

Reef enthusiast
So, don't laugh, but I was wondering you everyone though about me starting a aquarium maitence business. I am just a junior in high school, but I know a ton about tanks and I was thinking it would be a good part time job.

Anyone have some insight for me?

Well its a good idea. Do you have the knowledge and resources? Your customers might want references as well so if you do, i dont see why not.

Last edited:
Hope you got a strong back. You'll need it.

Do aquarium maintenance for 10yrs and you won't have a strong back anymore.

well I have asked on another forum and they said you need insurance and a bunch of other things so I'm not very keen on it anymore, I wish I could instead get a job at a fish store then

Setting up a business is easy.

You need a Federal Tax ID number. $3 at the local courthouse.

You need a liability insurance policy to cover maximum damages you might inflict on any clients' homes. $1000/yr for a couple million insurance. $500/yr for a few hundred thousand insurance.

Incorporate as soon as you can to isolate your personal property and cash from litigation. OR, become an LLC company.

But you're still gonna break your back lugging water around all the time. That shit is heavy!! :shock:

hmm, well I'm young atleast. my mom has her own Interior Design Business that she does part time, she has it incorporated.

I just don't know about the insurance and all that, I mean how to I get clients in the first place?

You'll need to be able to tell your customers that you can do a water change out without spilling a drop on their nice living room floor. In other words you need to develop a system of pumping water out and new water in.

I think if you're enthusiastic about doing this kind of work and since you're young, it's better if you first get a part time job at a aquarium store or maintenance service. Get some experience and then if you still feel like this is something you want to do, you will at least know the basics steps to take to get started.

I agree with CT.

Look for a job at the LFS.Many of them do maintenace and set-up/delivery of system.Not a bad way to get a discount for working for them.Ask to work in the salt department and learn as much as you can from the person in charge.Usually they are the only one's who know anything about the hobby.

The money in maintenance in Reef tanks is when you own the tanks and its contents. Control of the system assures success and profit and ready expansion. Starting out at a LFS is probably the best way of getting satrted other than working for an even longer time at a public aquarium. It only takes a few years before people become interested in funding a business for you. Try to avoid any and all contracts for maintaining someone elses tanks unless you have nearly complete control over all maintenance, products and tank contents. Otherwise you spend money cleaning up others mistakes and neglect and that does noy build a reputation for you as any thing but a laborer. I have people who take time off from work every time I do work on their tanks just because they want to learn. They do not want to be responsible for the tank though. Money is big in quality tank maintenance but money invested is big also. Insurance does not cover for what nature causes like a tank with out circualtion or skimming due to storm caused power outages. I have two employees, plus I maintain usually 4 - 5 tanks myself. About an hour and a half each week per tank at $35 per hour per tank. Materials as in salts, foods, carbon etc. is placed against their accounts at a local LFS. I provide corals and complete tank set ups to include internet connection hardware. The tanks are on one year leases and the corals they purchase from me out right. In the last 9 to 10 years I have only lost two customers after their one year lease. I allow few fish and thet must be approved in advance and I quaritine them (actually n employee does) before their introduction. No large fish or predator fish. I have a little over 170 thousand in depreciating supplies in use and on hand. That does not include my tanks in my apartment, any vehicles or electronics for tanks tied by internet to my computer for monitoring.

Last edited:
Back