Starting A Reef Tank

jcg432

Reefing newb
I have had my FO tank running for about one year...

Now I want to start keeping some coral, I am testing Gravity,PH,Nitrates, Nitrites & Alkanility....

Should I be testing for anything else before adding the corals to my tank???

I'm quite the newbie, so other folks will likely say more.

I would say calcium, to be on the safe side, and be prepared to add some (through one of the numerous methods) if necessary.

And, since you're modifying a fish only tank I would say slowly raise your specific gravity until you reach 1.024 or 1.025.

This is based on the (lots) of reading I've done over the past few months, talking to a lot of people, and my own (new!) success at keeping a small reef tank...so I've probably left something out. I'm sure that wiser folks that me can give more specifics.

I would think you need to also watch...

Calcium, phosphates, and temp needs to stay somewhat constant over a 24 hour period no large temp swings.

Other things likely needed.
More lighting, More flow, better skimmer,

Oh yea if you ever dosed your tank with Copper while it was FO you need to seriously consider replacing all the substrate/LR/ and cleaning everything the best you can.

You should be able to run your lights 12 hours a day with no algea growth.

If you have algea growth get a phosphate test kit thats most likely your problem.

Well with power compacts I would run them for atleast 8 hours with corals as they aren't really the most intense lighting.

What corals do you plan on keeping?

Wanted to Start with some yellow polyps and mushrooms for right. My LFS told me that these would be good to start with.

They also recommended leathers also. I have some polyps that im looking at but just making sure that I have all the parameters. I started running two little fishes phosphban just to make sure the phosphates dont go up.

Bought A Calcium Test yesterday and the results came out really low. So I started dosing with Kalkwasser this morning. Right now I just checked my PH and It is still good.

DSC00205.gif

Here is my first addition of corals to my tank. So far so good.

I've had my yellow polyps for about a month now, and they've been doing great, after a brief acclimation period - already spreading a little as well. Although they supposedly do well without supplemental feeding under enough light,' they're more than happy to eat frozen brine shrimp, which I feed them once a week or so. They're definitely happy to receive.

My hermit crabs love to hang out around the stalks, but I've noticed that they never pick at the polyps themselved...I guess they just like the shade. heheh.

The first day they were closed and I was a little worried but after three days they are now opening. Today I fed the Cyclopeeze they ate and they seem happy. My Blue hermits also spend time hanging out around them too!!!!

Tizapolgar, Can you post an updated pic of your yellow Polyps? Just want to know see how much the have grown in a month.

Back