Starting a small reef aquarium?

bufflehead3

Reefing newb
I have recently decided to start a small reef tank. I have a lot of experience with freshwater tanks but I have no experience with salt water tanks. Ive looked at several different tanks and am seriously considering the bio cube 14 gallon. I am open to other suggestions however.

I am concerned about the amount of noise. From what I have read, reef tanks need good water flow. I am wondering how loud these tanks can be. It will be kept in my bedroom and I am concerned about not being able to sleep. Does anyone own this tank that can tell me how loud it is?

My other question is how much can fit in a tank this size. I plan on getting a pair of clowns. I would like another fish if there would be room, but if not i'm just fine with the clowns. I would like a smaller starfish. What kinds of things will I need to clean the tank?.....How many snails...etc?

Does anyone know of a good website that has step by step instructions for setting up a tank like this? If I cant find one I might go find a good book.

If anyone else has the biocube 14, can you tell me what other parts you had to buy that dont come in the box?

Thanks for any imput. I know patience is the key.

Spend the extra $50 dollar's and get the Bio Cube 29 GL. with salt water the more water the better. as for the noise my tank is right next to the dinner table and I does not both use. Eventully the tank noise in your bed room will become white noise, and you might even sleep better with it. Good Luck

Noise will not be a a problem, my 75 makes little noise, even with the skimmer running. I would also suggest the larger tank.

Hello and welcome to the site...I agree with rskenny, the more water volume, the more stable it will be and the more stuff you can put in there. The noise will not be an issue, they're actually quieter than freshwater tanks to me.

You know I'm actually amazed at how quiet my tank actually is. You can hear a faint waterfall type sound from the HOB filter and a faint hum from the powerhead. That's it. My mother was whining before she even saw it about how she hates fish tanks; so noisy, smelly, too much work, blah blah. Even she was surprised and actually commented on how quiet the tank is! :dunno:

Hey bud, welcome to the site, I have three tanks in my room, 2 fresh and 1 salt. I sleep like a baby!! :)

First off,welcome to the reef.
Those Bio-Cubes are extremely quiet as far as fish tanks go.Just a slight hum from the pumps and fan.
Like was stated above,spend the extra money and go with a 29.That way you have more water and more room.

+1 Owgaad
In the 14, you will really only be able to keep 1 clown
In the 29, you will be able to keep 2 clowns and MAYBE another small fish if you keep the water quality good.

Also, the bio cubes arent "true" 14 and 29 gallons. The back part is used up for the filtration system since they are all in one systems and the actual usable space is less. Not sure how much less, but I believe by several gallons.

I would say with the 29 you could have the pair of clowns and another small fish like a goby. You could also get you starfish, shrimp, hermit crabs, crabs and snails. The thing about going with the bigger tank like mentioned is because you can have more water, and with saltwater tanks the more water volume you have the better. More water allows for a wider margin of error if something goes wrong, it is also easier to keep your water parameters in check better with more water things like, Ammonia, Nitrate, nitrite, ph, etc…

I also think you could keep 3 fish in the 29. Maybe 1 or 2 in the 14. Plus, the additional water volume will make it easier for you to keep your parameters stable.

I personally looked at the Biocubes and the Nano Cubes. I found that the Nano Cubes have a broader range of lighting options. True they are more expensive, but honestly there are fewer modifications you have to make on the Nano Cube than on the Biocube.

Back