starting a tank and would like help....

Rich

Reefing newb
My local retailer has a filter system that also acts as a skimmer <he says> and it seems to work well with his stuff. What one should I be looking for as far as a skimmer? I do have a big emporer filter and a fluval 404- what should I be looking for in a skimmer filter package?

also what temp range do i run the tank in?

i have read 2 years worth of books so i feel comfortable now with starting one, but there are lots of controversies. I have a 110 gallon tank I am starting when i have all the accessories i need. do i need to start a little 30 gallon tank somewhere for curing? quarantine? maybe do a little one for test?

not sure which filter/skimmer combo your talking about but the SKILTER is a good product from what i hear. I dont have one but i know someone that does and he loves it.
Quarantine tank is always a good idea!

what temperature should the salt reef tank maintain? if i use all live sand do i need to purchase sea salt?

Welcome To The Forum Rich. If You Havent Yet Go To The Saltwater Articles Forum And Browse The Articles. Most Of Your Setup Questions Will Be Answered There Or You Will Be Better Able To Make A Decision. I Like The Cpr Line Of Protien Skimmers, I.e. Cy 192 Or 194. But, If It Were Mine Id Try One Of The Bigger Ones Berlin Turbo Xl, Etc. Just Take It Slow And Shop Around. Reasearch And Select Several That You Feel Will Do The Job For You And Then Post Here And We Will Be More Than Glad To Provide Our Opinion. The Initial Choice Though Should Be Youres. If You Are Not Sure, You Need To Read More. Hope This Helps. Good Luck.

Hi Rich,
welcome to the forum.Please do check out the articles.If you are setting up the 110 a skilter will not be enough.I have heard some good and a lot of bad opinions on skilter product.A reasonably priced skimmer I have been looking into our coralife super skimmer since my prism skimmer has become junk.Look around for peoples opinions on different skimmers.Try to get separate units for skimming and filtering.also look for info on a sump or refugium.
for filtering.you can use the emperor for added flow and occasional use of carbon,and foam filters.

ok....I have the live sand and aquarium all set up...

now hw long does it take for the stuff to start living in the sand... no live rock yet> :grumble:

add your live rock or base whichever and then just let it go for about three months. check and test to watch for your cycle to complete and keep a log. this will be helpful in the future. your system may go through more than one cycle so be patient.

live sand

Welcom aboard.
Live sand is living when you purchase it. It does it's own thing. Add your live rock and take pictures of your progress. Surely, test and document. (Patience)...and keep us posted.
Burney

Back