Starting my new Sump/Fuge

BryanS

Reefing newb
Ok I need a little help I'm planning on starting my build in the next couple weeks.

I starting with a old 10 gallon tank and I'm going to copy Troybuckle's design.

I need help figuring out my head loss so I figure out what size return pump I'm gonna need. I think I will be ok with a mag 7. Mag-Drive Supreme 7 - 700 GPH Water Pump - English

Im thinking about getting this overflow box CPR Deluxe Overflow CS50 300 GPH, anyone have one or tried one before, or have any thoughts about it.
Deluxe CPR Continuous Siphon Overflows - English

I did use that same CPR overflow and its not all that good. It's definitely not continuous syphon without some type of air lifter pump and even then you need to clean the pump all the time or it gets clogged and then overflows the DT. I switched to the life reef overflow and its awesome!

To figure out the head loss just measure from the bottom of the fuge to the top of the DT and there you have it.

Thanks hiker I was a little worried about it being continuous syphon.

and as far as head loss do i need to measure anything as far as horizontal movement, because i do not think I am going to be able to make the pvc go straight up. Or is it just the height that matters

The horizontal flow will prob decrease the flow a little bit, but nothing near the verticle flow sections. Just calculate the verticle distance and then adjust accordingle with your ball valves. You always want to make sure your return pump does slightly more gph at the given head loss than the overflow can do a peak performance. That way you'll never be starving the pump of water. Then you use the ball valve to slow down the flow if necessary.

Here's a pic of mine

001-12.jpg

008-12.jpg

009-7.jpg

Good I got one more for you for now.

Is there a certain type of silicone I should use, or that I should stay away from?

I would hate to kill everything in the tank with toxic silicone.

Do you have any advice for me?

This is the exact type of silicone I use. They carry this stuff everywhere around me and even at Petco. It comes in clear or black.

siliconedisplay.jpg

I wouldn't waste your time with the smaller size one. You'll need more than what's in there so go witht he one that incerts in the caulking gun. You may have extra, but its only like $2-$3 more than the small tupe which wont do a whole fuge if you want to seal it good.

Last edited:
I emailed the guy and then he called me to place the order over the phone. Just click on the American Flag on the home page then it will take you into the main site. From there you can find products and its under prefilter/syphon boxes.

yea I saw them I just wanted to make sure that was the website...Did you have any problems with them or overflow?

Not a single problem. It really is a continuous syphon and all the review are true in my experience. The only thing is it's a little louder then I would like, but there are thing you can do to combat that. I'm just lazy and put up with some water gurgle. Just follow the instruction, which are very good, and you'll be fine.

Back