starting my sump/refugium

hazelsdad

Reefing newb
Well after reading on here so many different posts i decided to give it a shot and went out and bought a 20 Gallon Long aquarium. $30. I spent $16 on acrylic for the baffles and now about to silicone them in. $3
I am going to go skimmer/refugium/sump
I do have a few questions.

1) i am going to be using my HOB skimmer AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
with Maxi-Jet 1200 Pump which really doesn't take up too much space and has worked great so don't feel a need to replace it with a in sump type.
Question here is there a specific amount of space needed for the skimmer area? I have a total of 30" long by 12" deep to work with.

2)Overflow box i am looking at getting the lifereef prefilter box for $120 and then debating on a pump. thinking about Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One Aquarium Pump 3000 which is 780 gph for $68.Or is there another that someone could suggest?Think that may be overkill.

3) Is there a specific size needed here for the pump area.

4) my baffles are 9" high with the middle one of the three being 1" off the ground. and the fourth separating the sump/refugium area. I am assuming this should be fine but just wanted some assurance. lol

Thanks in advance for comments. I love this forum everyone is so helpful i browse it way to much lol.

1) its a HOB so not critical space needed, only caution is the return water creating microbubbles
2)quiet one pumps are very good in their own way, they create a lot of heat and use a lot of power, the ceramic shafts have always needed cleaning in my tanks but Ive got some that are really old and still working perfectly
3)return pump area can be tricky, has to have enough volume to not run dry at start up, if you could draw out your plan we can give it a guesstimate
4) acrylic and silicon don't stick well however you can trap the acrylic between two beads of silicon, acrylic absorbs water and expands so leave a litlle grow room between the plastic and the glass.

sorry I don't know anything on the overflow

Well after reading on here so many different posts i decided to give it a shot and went out and bought a 20 Gallon Long aquarium. $30. I spent $16 on acrylic for the baffles and now about to silicone them in. $3
I am going to go skimmer/refugium/sump
I do have a few questions.

1) i am going to be using my HOB skimmer AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
with Maxi-Jet 1200 Pump which really doesn't take up too much space and has worked great so don't feel a need to replace it with a in sump type.
Question here is there a specific amount of space needed for the skimmer area? I have a total of 30" long by 12" deep to work with.
Just make sure there is enough space in that section to fit your skimmer and whatever else you need (heater, etc.)
2)Overflow box i am looking at getting the lifereef prefilter box for $120 and then debating on a pump. thinking about Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One Aquarium Pump 3000 which is 780 gph for $68.Or is there another that someone could suggest?Think that may be overkill.
good choice IMO on the overflow. I believe that overflow is rated for 600 gph, right? If so then the 780 gph pump will be fine, just make sure to add a ball or gate valve between your return pump and tank that way you can adjust the water flow to match your overflow.
3) Is there a specific size needed here for the pump area.
This is where you will see all the evaporation in your tank taking place. IMO, I like to make this section as big as possible that way, there is less chance of my pump running dry.
4) my baffles are 9" high with the middle one of the three being 1" off the ground. and the fourth separating the sump/refugium area. I am assuming this should be fine but just wanted some assurance. lol
It's hard to say for sure if your baffles will be ok before you fill the tank up (the baffles in my 20L sump are only 8" high) Just remember this, the higher the baffles are the more water your sump will hold. The more water your sump holds the less room there is for your tank to drain if your pump shuts off. The most important thing you want to remember is that you don't want your sump to overflow and get water everywhere.
Thanks in advance for comments. I love this forum everyone is so helpful i browse it way to much lol.

Good Luck :Cheers:

Back