Starting my system up tomarrow.. What am I missing?

JohnnyDanger

Reefing newb
So I'm pretty sure I'll be starting up my system tomorrow afternoon.. I'll be taking my boat out and pumping up 80 gallons of fresh ocean water from 3 miles out in the gulf stream.. I'll stop at my LFS and grab 15 lbs of live rock rubble and a clump of algae for my refugium and 30 lbs of sand for a 1 inch sand bed.. I'm also going to buy a few lbs of nice live rock for my display tank.. I'm running a 55 gallon main tank with a 20 gallon sump refugium.. I'll be running my lights on a 8 hour schedule and then my refugium light at night.. I have 2 koralia 750's and I'll run both of them while the DT lights are on and run only one at night when the lights are off.. After a week or so I'll buy a bunch of crabs and snails.. I'll also go out to the reef and catch a coral bandit shrimp to throw in there.. I would also like to add a clown fish and an anemone after a week.. Anything you guys would do differently or add in?? This is my first time starting a salt water system and I don't want to mess anything up!!

Can you get sand while you are out getting water too? That would actually help speed your cycle along. I get all my live rock and sand from Tampa Bay Saltwater (getting mine monday/tuesday for my new tank) and noticed that getting the fresh sand and rock straight out of the ocean makes the cycle uber quick.

That said, I would wait until your cycle is through before you start adding inverts. They're pretty sensitive. No fish either. And DEFINITELY no anemone! The need a fairly established tank. Wait several months. Patience is key! Looks like you've done your research but look more into cycling the tank. Good luck! :)

+1 Dennis. Also, why only run one powerhead at night? You should have a lot of flow 24/7, and I don't think one is enough for half the time. The ocean doesn't stop moving at night. ;)

I have to second the anemone thing. Your tank may be ready for inverts and fish after a week (unlikely -- it usually takes 3 to 4 weeks for a new tank to cycle), but it definitely won't be ready for an anemone. They are considered "expert only" animals and require very stable water conditions and usually do not do well in tanks that have just been set up. They also require very high lighting -- do you have proper lights for an anemone?

If you are looking for something for the clown to host, there are lots of things you can try that are easier to keep than an anemone, that you would be able to add as soon as your tank is done cycling. Like a toadstool leather, xenia or hairy mushrooms.

+1 everyone

I would also consider buying captive breed clowns. Considering the state of our oceans, i think we should leave stuff in the ocean that is so readily available from a more sustainable industry. Plus, they will already be adjusted to tank and should be much easier to keep.

Before you start catching stuff off the reef, check you local laws and make sure you get any appropriate license. Not only is it the right thing to do, but you will avoid hefty fines if you get caught.

Thanks guys your help is really appreciated!! I have the list of regulations printed out on my desk so I know whats legal and whats not.. I would never do anything to harm our reefs.. I read that huge cycling sticky on cycling your tank, I probably should have done that a while ago!! Definitely a huge help thank you guys!! I'll put up some pictures once I get it filled!

Awesome! BTW, I like that you have done your research and have a solid plan. That's always nice to see. We will be waiting on pics of the new tank. :)

Back