Starting Over

jswinberlin

Reefing newb
Not sure I'm ready to take the leap, but I think I've gone about as far as I can with my FOWLR setup. I started out by getting a LFS to set up a 45 gallon tank for me. Evidently the guy was old school or just figured it would be easier to set up something basic. In any event, I now have a 2 year old tank with an undergravel filter. My lighting is minimal 1 standard florescent and 1 ultra-sun florescent. I have a sea-clone protein skimmer and a hang on the back Whisper filter with carbon filters.

I will do this in phases to spread out the cost and pain and suffering. Here is what I'm thinking, input is greatly appreciated:

1. Replace lighting with T5 or LED.
2. Replace crushed coral and under gravel filter with live sand and increase live rock (from appx. 25lbs.+/- to 45-50lbs..
3. Add better circulation (have 2 power heads now for UGF).
4. Upgrade protein skimmer.
5. Add additional (redundant) heater.

My current livestock consists of:
Clarki Clown
Bicolor Blenny
Pajama Cardinal
Six-line Wrasse
Firefish
Coral Beauty

My current tank actually looks pretty good, I'm just a little bored with it. I probably wouldn't jump into keeping corals for 6 months to a year after everything is done...I need to study the chemistry of water a little more because I don't do many tests now and I'm sure my nitrates are high with the UGF.

Looking at the list above, I'm thinking I'm easily around $1k and I need to spread that out.

Thanks for your help!

Back