Step one, water.

Rooster2410

Repto-Man
I read an article that said its okay to use ocean water to start your tank, so long as its clean, not in an area used by boats often or near docks etc, and you check the chem balance... Sooo......

Assuming I do that, what equipment do I need to get started to keep it going? Im brand new to marine aquariums, so is there a list of everything I need to buy first? After I have all the stuff I need, what is the next step?

The guy that sells ocean water in plastic containers for tanks goes way out and then he draws water form a 100 fett down or more to get clean water. Even if you do that you run a greater risk of getting parasites. You might try running the water thru a UV filter. The upside is you will save money.

Wow lol. Did not know that. Here I was thinking I'd rent a boat, go out a little ways, get some water and use that.

Is there a way to even test for bacteria even if one does get it from the ocean?
I've read about bacterias in my fishing book that can make people sick or cause death, what if DoH says its okay (for clams and what not), would that imply that the water should be okay?

I am by the Pacific Ocean by the way, so what I meant (assuming its okay) is that I'd go get it myself. Im only about a 40 minute drive.

Hello and Welcome!

Its going to be much easier for you make your own water, and for that kind of a drive, cheeper too.

You will need to change out 10-15% of your water volume every week, so you would need to make that drive once a week.

Plus you run the risk of introducing some parasite or other nasty contaiminate that in the ocean is diluted out enough to not cause serious problems, but in a closed system could keep you from keeping anythings.

And you should read these articles, especially the first one. Understanding water chemistry in marine tanks is the most important thing for success.

https://www.livingreefs.com/water-chemistry-t31270.html

This will also go over the equipment you need to have a successful tank.

https://www.livingreefs.com/why-using-tap-water-bad-idea-t19865.html

https://www.livingreefs.com/basic-equipment-list-t19611.html

Iread this the other day and got to thinking. I live five minutes from the Gulf of mexico hear in north west Florida, same thought run down to the gulf grab some nsw good to go so i mad a phone call to the Gulf arium. they have dolphins live reefs every thing any was this is how they run their tanks. 5 wells 25 ft in the sand and a large inlet pipe that runs 50 ft into the gulf as for filtration its a large container at the bottom is a few feet of rock covered with a few feet of sand i work in water distribution and collection we have the same filter process at the waste water plant best of all they sell nsw at .50 a gallon with test results on the water quality so i know where im going this weekend

The NSW that is sold at the LFS is collected 100 miles off shore, and a hundred feet at least below the surface. Why? Because there are WAY too many contaminants close to shore. So you definately run the rish of introducing any number of heavy metals, and poisons into your system that enter the ocean as run off from plants, and waste. I wouldn't do it.

I live, and have always lived within minutes of the ocean. I grew up surfing, and fishing, but I still wouldn't ever go collect my own water from shore and put it in my tank.

I agree with others. If you live 40 minutes from ocean then mixing your own water will be cheaper. But is has been done --using ocean water. The 200,000g reef tank in S.F. brings sea water thru a 6 mile long pipe to the tank. I guess they filter it with carbon and UV.

Thats pretty cool sen524.

I visit the beach often. The zoo is right there by the beach along with many other things to do. Even though the water is freezing, and its usually raining. We get out there a couple times a month.

Back