Stocking for the Biocube

Bebop

Reefing newb
Alright.

Since I finally have my lights going and everything is working, it’s time to start thinking about stocking.

I had my heart set on a Jawfish; however, with some of the improvements and small changes I've made to my tank, I'm not sure it's the best of ideas. I had a dusky jawfish with my first tank, and he managed to jump over the overflow and onto the fish catch I had over it. I have since added a skimmer into that spot and can't have the crate over it (and I have no idea how I’d keep one out of that space should I get a Jaw)

So, has anyone done the pistol shrimp/watchman pair? My biggest concern is getting them to form the symbiotic bond. Then I've heard the noise drives people nuts.

Or does anyone else have ideas for something that can fit in a 30g that I’m missing? The only thing that I am 100% sure on would be a mated pair of clowns, but other than that I’m pretty flexible.

My friend has the watchman/pistol pair. The only problem he has with them is he never sees them. Always spooing in their little cave. Never hears the popping noise though, he says. And them matching up is pretty much a guarantee from what ive read. Good luck on whatever choice you make though!

I thought Dwarf Angels weren't reed compatible?

I think I'm going with a Ranfordi Goby so I don't want it to fight with a firefish.

Anytype of blenny in particular?

Dwarf angels are 50/50 with reefs but some types are better then others.

I don't think you'd have any issues with that goby and a firefish together.

And me personally, in a smaller tank, I'd get a tail spot blenny.

And me personally, in a smaller tank, I'd get a tail spot blenny.

I have a Tail Spot Blenny in my 10 gallon tank, what cool neat looking fish. He has made a home of a flat brain and spends all his time sitting on top of it or somewhere near it. Great little fish. Was a little spooky at first, but is now out all the time.

I have a Tail Spot Blenny in my 10 gallon tank, what cool neat looking fish. He has made a home of a flat brain and spends all his time sitting on top of it or somewhere near it. Great little fish. Was a little spooky at first, but is now out all the time.

Aww the tail spot blenny is cute!

I would really love to do a dwarf angel (flame or coral beauty) but I worry about them bullying/picking on corals.

I think I'm going to try the Pistol/Goby combo. Worse comes to worse they don't bond and I have two burrowers.

So my current stocking idea is:

Pistol/Goby Combo
Pair of Clowns

I know the general rule is 1 fish per 10 gallons. Could I add another, or does this pretty well cap my fishies?

Also, with the Pistol shrimp, I pretty much can't have any another shrimp in the tank right? Don't want to grab a fire shrimp only to have it be a snack for the pistol.

And lastly, I've seen the Lettuce Sea Slug on various different CUC's. Anyone have experience with them?

The lettuce slugs will only eat bryopisis (sp?) algae, so they often starve to death in our tank. I would pass them over for some snails.

And you can add another fish, I just wouldnt add him too quickly.

The lettuce slugs will only eat bryopisis (sp?) algae, so they often starve to death in our tank. I would pass them over for some snails.

And you can add another fish, I just wouldnt add him too quickly.

Ok, i always wonder why they add those to CUCs.

I'm not adding anything just yet. CUC first, then I'll add fish. Probably around the end of april.

Thanks for the help!

Back