stocking ideas again

michelle

Reefing newb
hey,
okay, I know I have asked a few questions before about stocking. But, I have done some thinking and research and have a few ideas. I thought I would post it and get some feedback. Again my tank is a 33 Gallon FOWL right now. Possibility of going reef...maybe. Definately upgrading to a 55 in the summer.

Current Fish Stock
1 false percula
1 yellowtailed damsel
1 scat
1 lawnmower blenny
(hermit crabs, snails, skunk cleaner, 30lbs LR~increasing that amount soon, anemone)

Thinking of either
2-3 more small fish
or
1 larger (within my tank limits~upgrading to 55 gallon in the summer) fish such as a dwarf angel (which is "larger" for a 33 gallon )

1. Originally I wanted a valentini puffer. That was actually what I was setting the tank up for. I love puffers. Had 4 fresh and brackish tanks with puffers for 3 years. The LFS, past experiences(my puffers were always quite peaceful with other fish as long as they were fed) and some of my research tells me it would probably be ok with other fish. It is a smaller puffer and is recommended a minimum tank size of 30.
My hesitation with it (although I think its my preference for stocking) is that despite the LFS' assurance that it is reef safe i don't think it is. At least not definately. My research showed it reef compatable WITH CAUTION. I havent noticed that anyone else in here has puffers. Did you ever? Ever consider it? Talk to me!!

ok other stocking thoughts....
2. As I have mentioned before I am thinking about a dwarf angel. I would appreciate advice here again. Doc has shared some insight on this before. But as I sit here with my little list of fish I like I will pose the question again.
I like the:
bicolor angel
flame angel
halfback
flameback
Eibli
and Potters.
If I go with an angel I want it to ba a centerpiece fish of sorts.

3. I also like Basslets:
Blackcap
Golden
Macneils
Royal gramma (although I have read ...on here maybe...that people have trouble keeping them)
If I went with one of these, I should only get that one fish I guess? No others?

4. I was thinking of a mate for my clown. I know I would need a smaller one, so that they will not have to fight for dominance, but should I get the same type of clown that I have now? (false percula) or could I look at the yellow striped maroon? I love the look of the fish, Although I think the charm of a PAIR of clowns is the fact they match....If I went with the second clownfish, I would want another small fish as well. Wondering about a clown goby. Would the Blenny have issues with him? I don't find that this small fish looks much like the Goby species that my Blenny seems to despise.

5. Maybe a filefish? Although I must admit I know nothing about them. Just saw it on marinedepot. Thought it was nice. Different. perhaps a flame hawkfish with it? They are both smaller right?

6. Maybe 3 Green Chromis OR 3 PJ cardinals. Although I am not OVERLY struck on either, but I thought if they acted as a small school they may look nice.

7. I liked the pseudochromis.
Arabian
Diadema
Fridmani
Royal dottyback
splendid pseudochromis.
Maybe if I went with these I'd get 2?

8. Last set of fish I liked were wrasses. I believe if I remember correctly, this was what reeffreak thought would be a good choice. I like
Blue flasher wrasse
Mscoskers
Pseudochelinus Ocellatus
Painted Fairy
6line (although I have read rcpilots "i wish i would have..." comments and and hesitant)
4 line cleaner
Red Fairy
Golden Coris
And if I went this way I would think of getting 2.

Ok...Long winded I know. Could be because I took cough syrup a while a go and now I am CRAZY HYPER. almost 2 in the morning here and i am really wired.

Of the (many)possible options I am looking at, does anyone have advice/opinions/information? Just so nobody misunderstands, I am thinking of doing ONE of the 8 ideas.
I love the puffer. It would make my day if you could say that my LFS is right and he would be a fine addition to my tank as my final fish. :D But I guess I know that wont happen. just hoping.

also wondering about clams, a fire shrimp or maybe the purple lobster.

Ok. I will stop.
(how long does it take COUGH SYRUP to wear off?!? this is rediculous!)

thank you

Wow,Michelle your in a typing mood tonight!My list will be keeping in mind that a reef maybe in your future.

Valentini Puffer-They will make a meal out shrimps,crabs and snails.These are all desirable in a reef so no to the puffer.

Hawkfish-They can make a meal out of everything including small fish.You know what my answer to this one.

Dwarf Angel-possibly nip on corals.I say you have a 50/50 chance.

Clownfish-you can't mix clowns so no yellow maroon.You can get your ocellaris a companion.Get one either larger or smaller than the one you have now.

Chromis and Cardinal-they school in the hundreds in the wild.Three really don't school and I've heard that in small numbers they finish each other off til only two is left.One or two in this case maybe a better option.

Pseudochromis-They make good candidates for aggressive tankmates.All in all though,I would give one of these serious consideration.Only one though,they don't get along with other Pseudochromis and possibly Basslets(they resemble them).

Gobies-well we know what happen to the other goby.I don't think your blenny will accept any tankmates that looks similar.Clown goby are really small,either it will look different enough or your blenny will beat the snot out of it.Maybe you have a 50/50 chance.

Wrasse-the only wrasse on your list that may not be reef safe is the coris(I could be wrong).Don't forget a top with one of them since they like to jump.Two males can be kept in large systems but a male/female pair of the flasher wrasse would be more ideal for your size set up.Carpenters and McCoskers are my favorite flashers.

Fire shrimps are great addition as well as clams if you have the lights for them.I know nothing of the lobster,its a lobster so I would say no to them in a reef.It just sounds like something that will/can eat fish.

Lobsters are deep water animals, so they require colder temperatures and darker lighting. They need to be kept in their own tanks and will not do well in a reef tank.

And I agree with what everything Freaky Deaky said :).

of the dwarf angels you listed, the potters and flame are your best bet. the bicolor angel will eat every coral it comes near. I have owned 6 or so flames over the years and none of them have touched a coral. they are stunning and are great centerpiece fish for a tank.

Reef has you covered with the other items

-Doc

Thanks guys (and gal) Sorry for the huge post...Damn cough syrup, Amazing the effect it can have:S

ok, so i am either going to get another clown (a smaller one) and a wrasse or the flame angel. It was always my intention to get the falme, but I would like the second clown and there is a painted fairy wrasse at my LFS that always catches my eye. (another bonus-its the fish from shark tale and my son likes it)
Has anyone had the painted fairy? Does it keep its color and stay as bright? I do still really like the flame though....hmmm....

I guess it depends cause I have a puffer in a reef tank with shrimp, snails, hermits, small clowns, and nothing has been killed nor has any reefs been damaged or sampled. The shrimp is actually his best friend and the puffer will follow the shrimp everywhere he goes ALL day long. Its too the point where im tired of seeing that puffer next to the shrimp lol. I dont know if he is this way cause I have had him since he was a baby or if it is because I keep him full and happy? It is just a gamble if you have time to monitor one then I would buy one because he is probably my favorite fish I love their personality's and the way you can pet them. I kept mine in a 30 gallon for several months and he was happy as can be. Now he is in a 75.

Last edited:
I guess it depends cause I have a puffer in a reef tank with shrimp, snails, hermits, small clowns, and nothing has been killed nor has any reefs been damaged or sampled. The shrimp is actually his best friend and the puffer will follow the shrimp everywhere he goes ALL day long. Its too the point where im tired of seeing that puffer next to the shrimp lol. I dont know if he is this way cause I have had him since he was a baby or if it is because I keep him full and happy? It is just a gamble if you have time to monitor one then I would buy one because he is probably my favorite fish I love their personality's and the way you can pet them. I kept mine in a 30 gallon for several months and he was happy as can be. Now he is in a 75.
what kind of puffer is it you have? And what kind of fish/corals do you have? As I've said, I have a fascination with them. I currently still have my red eye (Freshwater) and he still hasn't eaten the 5 feeder shrimp I threw in with him 8 months ago. And I had a figure eight and a GSP puffer for years that were housed with mollies and a crayfish. The Cray went in as a baby, I never expected it to live with the 2 puffers...It actually killed both my puffers when it got older.
They never even ate the fry mollies....but, it's still a gamble I know.

I have a porcupine puffer which I was told was one of the more aggressive ones. He lives with 1 skunk clown, maroon clown, tomato clown, flame angel, foxface, hermits, snails, and of course his best friend the shrimp. As far as the corals, pulsing xenias, cladiella/colt coral, gsp, bta, lta, feather dusters mushrooms and zoa's. The ONLY thing he has ever done was he laid down in the gsp like it was a bed and blew the polyps with his mouth which was quite funny. I dont think you will have a problem as long as you keep him full and happy.

thanks salteedog. I really like the porcupines, They seem to have so much personality, but then all puffers do. I know I will upgrade to a 55 gallon. I may go bigger but I don't know for sure, so I am restricted with puffers. I don't want to get one that will outgrow the tank. any chance at seeing a pic of your porcupine? with the shrimp would be cool:)

The fairy wrasses are all reef safe.There are a few that grows big and need the swimming space.Sorry,I don't know anything on the painted but it does sound like one of the smaller fairy wrasses.

yeah they all get along just fine. 2 stay in an anemone on the left side of the tank and on the right side of the tank the skunk stays in his anemone. On occasions I see all 3 in the same anemone, I never once seen them pick at each other either. Im debating on getting rid of my 13 year old tomato, thinking of getting an older maroon to take his place. haven't decided yet

Back