Stocking lists beyond the first year?

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
I know after an aquarium has stablized and matured that you can go beyond the 1 fish per 10g rule. And I know this depends a great deal on what types of fish you already have (peaceful, semi-aggressive, etc), how much rock work for hiding and terriroty you have, overall water volume, flow and aeration, nutrient export mechanisms, making sure your fish are compatible for tank size and tank mates, etc. I'm just curious how other long-term hobbiests have made determinations for their own tanks about when they've reached their stocking limit? I currently have 15 fish in my tank. All of them are relatively peaceful and get along well with each other. I rarely see displays of aggression. Most are small (2-4"), and will not ever get bigger than 4-5". They occupy different areas of the water column, and all have sleeping places and territories that are compatible with each other. There are still a few additional fish I'd like to add, but also think I am nearing my limit without adding more rock to the display tank and without increasing my overall water volume. But how can I really know?

Last edited:
I've done a lot of reading on the topic and unfortunately I don't have much real world experience with the overstocking limit. What I will say is I would feel comfortable stocking until there is signs of aggression/stress from long time inhabitants. Another clue is your typical water changes will start to not be sufficient. As you increase inhabitants you also have to think about aeration since the oxygen dissolved in the water will be used up more quickly than when you had less fish. subscribing as well, I have a 90 and would like to know where the limit is. My problem is going to be my huge clowns since they were the first ones in the tank.

You have a 90gl and have 15 fish ??? isnt that overstoked already ??/

The 1 fish per 10g rule is really for the first year of your tank. After the first year, depending on other variables, you can go beyond that. I have an undrilled 90g + 20g sump for a total of 110g water volume. Because the tank is not drilled there is more room for rock and swimming space. I also have about 175# of rock, and my skimmer is rated for a 200g tank. My nitrates are minimal (2-5 at most), I run a gfo reactor to keep phosphates in check, and have a good amount of rubble and chaeto in my sump. I have minimal algae growth and my corals (including several sps) are doing just fine. The tank has been running for 14 months and I have never had an ich outbreak or lost fish to something that would impact the whole community (2 of my first chromis developed black growths and died shortly after introduction, and 1 female fairy wrasse was bullied and had a swim bladder problem and ultimately died, otherwise no other issues). My fish are mostly peaceful and small reef fish, the exception being my tang which is one of the smallest species of tang. She is currently about 2 3/4 inches and is a slow grower, with a maximum possible size of 8" and rated for a 70g min tank. Overall I have 2 clowns, 3 anthias, 5 fairy wrasses, a goby, a blenny, a chromis, a tilefish, and the tang. As I said, I believe I am very close to or at my max for my current water volume and rocks. Within the next 6 months I intend to increase total water volume by adding a second large sump/refugium (50+ gallons). I raised this question not for criticism of my current stocking list, which I believe is adequate for my set-up, but because I'm curious if there are any rules of thumb to keep in mind after the first year and how to decide when I've maxed out.

I would say you are close if not there already. Remember its not the sump that matters so much, but the amount in the tank since that is where they live. You also have to remember that some of your fishies are going to get big and mean someday.

In the end though, I would guess its your choice.

Back