Storming Ahead

bennla

Reefing newb
We want to report that our tank improved rather quickly after are last posting. We have been somewhat patient. Amazingly we tested our tank one day and all levels seemed perfect so off to LFS with a water sample to confirm. Woohoo....we can add a cleaner crew.

There was a particular cleaning crew pack offered at a different LFS that we intended on purchasing consisting of 12 bumblebee snails, 12 hermit crabs (red & blue legged), 2 emerald crabs, 12 turbo snails & 1 lawnmower blenny.....that just wasn't enough. Also added 1 green brittlestar, 1 linkia starfish, and 1 sally lightfoot. This still wasn't enough since we only had one fish so I had to get blenny a buddy. LFS suggested a damsel but the hell with those mean suckers....we had our hearts set on a purple tang. For only $40 we figured GO FOR IT! We also picked up a DigiTemp thermometer.

Upon arriving home to acclimate the new inhabitants some startling news...the tank was 84 degrees. No lights had been on for over 3 weeks and the temp in the house had never gone over 78 degrees. How can this be?

The first day the tang only stayed in one corner of the tank. He finally noticed the blenny swimming around and they became fast friends (or so the Tang thinks). The blenny just puts up with him.

Because of the temp we thought alll inhabitants were goners. It's now 4 days later and temp has been running 81-85.8, but everyone is still alive and active. The purple tang seems always hungry and eats everything from live seaweed to frozen mysid shrimp.

Since this was intended to be a coral tank from what we understand we will have to get a chiller in order for corals to survive....is this true? I have purchased a nice rock of purple mushrooms that I will introduce later this week to see if it will survive w/o the chiller.

Is it normal for my temp to be this high? I have 60 G tank with dimensions: 48x15x18, custom made hood 12" high containing 4x54watt T5 bulbs with 4 3" fans (2 sucking 2 blowing), approx. 10 G sump containing live rock, remora hang on skimmer w/rio 1200 pump in sump, and finally a Little Giant Pump.

Here is a pic of the new best buds
lennyandgilbert.jpg

Hood

I was wondering do you have a custom hood made for the tank. I just put 2-175 watt on a 55 so 350. no chiller but temp stays 75-80. no hood just suspended lights right at the top of the tank. but its always 75-76 in the house. it stays semi cool.

you'r Temperature is too high and needs to be brought down to no more than 82 - 83 for short periods. your animals will be very active at this temperature and you really need to be careful not to overfeed. watch your bioload, nitrates, amonia, ect. do you have a heater, or is your system heating up from the lights. can only suggest that you maintain your system between 78 and 82. check out the new articles on the satltwater article forum. may answer a lot of your questions. good luck and congrats. do not add too quickly to your system, give your bacteria load a chance to catch up with the new additions. keep us posted.

I agree with Jhnrb temp needs to come down.Digitals are usually pretty accurate,but maybe yours is giving a false reading. You may want to get an extra glass one and put in there.I like to use both kinds ,so you can read a temp on both sides.also your heater may not be working correctly.You should check and see if the light on goes off and on when needed.When it was real hot here a couple of months ago I used some zip lock with ice inside for quick cooling so if your tank is really that high you may want to try that.

still storming ahead

Hurricane Katrina or Rita has nothing on me. Our tank is 1 month old.

Have I gone too far? :^:

ReefTank.jpg

BranchHammer.jpg

FoxCoral.jpg

GreenStar.jpg

HairyMushroom.jpg

YellowStar.jpg

Gilbert_CleanerShrimp.jpg

CleanerShrimp.jpg

Last edited:
Can anyone also tell what this is? It's yellow stuff growing on one of the rocks and is hard and seems to be adhering to the nearby rocks.

DSC00862.jpg

Does this look like the start of mushrooms? We bought this rock with mushrooms on it and noticed these flower like things.

DSC00864.jpg

Thanks for all the help so far. Glad I joined this forum! :D

Last edited:
Whoa Nelly! Very nice tank! My only peice of advice is do not and anything for 2 more months, your tank will change dramatically in the first 3 months while it establishes itself. Keep an eye on your water parameters as much as possible. Just be ready for nitrite or nitrate spikes, water changes will cure this. Do you have a refuge? Adding one may help quicken your cycle.

The flower like things appear to be some type of Xenia. Need a better pic on the yellow things. DO NOT ADD ANYMORE BIO LOAD AT THIS TIME. TEST AND KEEP RECORDS. YOUR SYSTEM SHOULD GO THROUGH ANOTHER CYCLE MAYBE TWO, ALTHOUGH, PROBABLY NOT AS MUCH AS THE INITIAL CYCLE. LET THE BACTERIA HAVE A CHANCE TO CATCH UP WITH THE ADDITIONS AND GIVE THE SYSTEM A CHANCE TO BALANCE OUT. CHECK OUT THE NEW ARTICLES POSTED IN THE ARTICLE FORUM. THIS SUBJECT IS ADDRESSED. HOPE SOMETHING THERE HELPS. NICE SETUP AND GOOD LOOKING SYSTEM. CONGRATS.

Last edited:
yep Xenia I my guess to.Very nice tank,but just enjoy it for now and dont add anymore.I hope that it stays this way for you.Also watch that xenia it will take over if you let it.

Thank you so much for your comments. :D

I thought I was taking it slowly by adding the fish slowly. One of the suppliers told me I could add as much coral at a time since it didn't affect the Bio Lode.

My tank seemed to cycle quickly after the water was stagnant for that one day when I first built the tank. Why would it cycle again :12: ? Is there anything to do to prevent that? I've been checking the levels consistantly and keeping the water clean so I didn't think that it would spike.

Back