Straighten me out

Fastlight

Semper FI
Okay i was wondering a few things. Im about to order a RO/DI and was thinking about getting it here.
http://www.purewaterclub.com/ There are so many which should i get? Also should i use RO/di water for my my initial fill up just to cure rock?
Next question i want to buy oceanic salt. Do i first mix my intial fill up in individual buckets? then pour it into the tank or can i fill up my tank most of the way add the salt in and then turn on a korelia pump. or should i add the salt and then run the system as in let the water drain and use the return pump along with having a korelias goin?

I was thinking of getting 2 korelia3's would it be wise to get the wave maker and 12v programable korelia3's to go with it?

Any other suggestions for initial setup? I know its going to be a few weeks yet but im at least getting closer!:bounce:

get the highest output you can afford, and you dont need ro/di for your initial fill up but it wont hurt to use it, and you can just mix the water in the tank. as for the wavemaker thats up to you, i dont use one but then again i dont wanna spend the money on one

What is a gac filter? Im trying to decide between these two. The gac filter says it improves taste odor and color...I would like to use the rodi for drinking water too. But will that gac thing be harmful to the fish(i doubt) this is the gac one.

pw 22-36 under reef aquarium series or should i get the pw-22-46? that one has two di units but not the gac filter

I would go with a 6-stage(double DI filter),quicker I believe to get to 0ppm.Even if it's not,the price difference isn't very much.Sorry,I not sure if the GAC filter is harmful to a reef,I don't believe it is....still,I'm not sure.

BTW,I have the PW-22-50 that comes with extra replacement filters for all stages.Don't forget a TDS meter,if the model doesn't comes with one.

GAC is granular activated carbon. It must be used with an RO filter to remove the chlorine in the water before it reached the membrane. Chlorine will destroy a RO membrane.
I bought this RO/DI unit off Ebay a few years ago. It has a seperate output for the RO/DI water for your tank, plus another output with a storage tank and a spigot to mount on your sink for drinking.

reef freek i c that that model doesnt say oppm on it what are your tds readings? And that pw-22-50 is the same price as those i showed up top plus xtra filters! They seem all relatively close to the same.

Last edited:
Don't let the 0 ppm ploy throw you off. It's just a marketing strategy. There is no filter made, at least not for home use, than can guarantee to remove 100% of impurities and that's what that filter would have to do all the time no matter what the TDS is of the water from the tap. It might get water that starts at 300 ppm TDS down to 0, but I would say it more than likely would not get water that's 1000 ppm TDS down to 0.
That being said, my tap water is pretty good. It's about 75 ppm TDS out of the tap and 0 TDS after the RO/DI.

Why not step on up to the K4s?Theres no such thing as too much flow as long as the sands staying on the bottom.
If your thinking you'd like to have several SPS corals,then I'd go with the wave maker.If nothing else,it would keep the current more chaotic and minimize dead spots.

do those wave makers actually move the head around? I also heard the k4 were huge compared to the k3. well i got on craigslist and got a lead on some live rock and korealias and a used 6 stage rodi. I will c where those leads go.

Theres not a lot of difference between the #3s and 4s size wise.
The wave maker turns the pumps off and on every few minutes.Which causes to currents in the tank to change around.

Back