strange fish

mark3090

Reefing newb
hey guys,

i was wondering if any of you could make some suggestions on some odd looking fish. i really had my heart set on a box fish or even a puffer but my tank size will not support these (30 ga). if its a strange enough looking guy, i might decide to just leave him in there on his own.

any ideas?

You would only be able to keep one in your tank. And they would eat any inverts you had! (Watch the wartskin video on that page).

You would only be able to keep one in your tank. And they would eat any inverts you had! (Watch the wartskin video on that page).

omg :shock:... that video was disturbing, i love my inverts... well, when i had em before anyway..

i got into this hobby when i went to cancun. me and my girlfriend at the time were collecting what we thought were shells. apparently it turns out we collected over 50 hermit crabs. :bounce:

IMO...Filefish are one of the strangest looking fish out there...I guess they don't do well with small inverts...

Pervagor_melanocephalus.jpg

Are those feeder shrimp just bred to be dumb? LOL OOOO...nice lookin' restaurant...I think I'll nibble there....*CHOMP*

Personally i would'nt put one in a 30.They are kinda boring too.I guess a frog fish is too,but i think the frogfish is alittle more unique.

Dwarf lions are nice looking. they don't move fast and are slightly boring in movement. You can easily keep them with anything that they can't fit in thier mouth or is large enough for them to not consider food. I have a 5" dwarf lion and he won't bother my anything over 2" for sure. very slow calculating timid eater.

Honestly i'd like to put him in my larger tank but i'm not certain if he will eat my mandarins or not. Its a coin flip I'm not willing to take because I adore my mandarin's.

you guys 100% sure i wont be able to keep a boxfish in a 30 ga? like even for 6 months to year?

i'm seriously contemplating ripping down my tank for a 55 bowfront now... :frustrat:

Never let anyone tell you something can or cannot be done. I have MANY things in my tank that "won't work" and do many many more that "cannot be done" and still keep fish alive.

Take into account the good advice given and weigh it based upon what you think or know you can do. These people DO know what they are talking about and are giving sound general advice. Just remember..Common wisdom is sometimes dumb.

IMO if your a gambler go for it if you think you can. I ended up going against common wisdom and ended up with 4 dragonnets in my 55g happy and healthy with 30" of fish total for that tank all water conditions are pristine. You just have to know what your doing.

Back