strange nitrite and nitrate level

reefjet

Reefing newb
to day when i went to check the nitrite and nitrate level they were strangely low back a week and half ago both were really high the nitrite was at 5.0 to 10.0 ppm and the nitrate was at 40 to 80 ppm but today when i went to check the nitrite was at 1.0 to 0 ppm and the nitrate was at 20 to 0 ppm. does this mean my aquarium is fully cycle now :frustrat::frustrat:

Last edited:
Does the above post mean you cycled your tank with damsel fish?

For one that is cruel, and there are much more humane ways of doing this.

Two, they are probably the worse fish you can own. If they were luck to survive the cycle, they will probably bully anything else you put in the tank to death.

And you should be aware that you are pretty well limited to have two fish in that tank until it matures some (several months to a year), and not every fish will live happily in a 20 gal tank. Do your research before you buy the fish otherwise you are going to find your expensive fish dead.

That being said, looks like your cycle is done! Do your water change and you can add your first fish!

i cycled my tank with 2 damsel fish and i do not know why you say it cruel and they are not aggressive to each other and if they are aggressive to the other fish i well be putting in the tank i well just move them to the refugium
that said this 20 gallon sw tank is just for me to learn the up and down and challenges that come with a sw tank

Last edited:
Its cruel because ammonia is very toxic, which is why you have to cycle the tank before adding fish. If you have ever been around cat pee or liquid ammonia, you know that burning sensation in your nose, they are living in that same toxic chemical. It damages their gills and internal organs. If they survived that, their lifespan which should be 5-7 years has been cut back.

that is a really old school way of cycling a tank, but we know better now. I would also be wary of someone who uses such outdated advice for cycling a tank, it would make me suspect that they are trying to make a sale out of your or they have zero clue about about what they doing.

Welcome Reefjet. You're not going to find anyone on this forum (or other forums I hope!) that agrees with cycling a tank with live fish. It is an outdated method that is painful to the fish. And we all care about our fish. To cycle a tank correctly most of simply add live rock and let that cause the ammonia spike or we add a dead table shrimp to rot for a day or two.
Also, with a 20 gallon tank you should only have 2 fish so not sure what you mean by "now I can start adding more expensive fish." Overstocking, especially this early in your tank set up is a sure way to crash your tank. Please, read thru some of our build threads and you'll see how to set up a successful tank, it's a slow, methodical process. Lots of research is needed to make sure each addition is a proper one for your tank.
I'd recommend you return the damsels (putting them in the refugium is not much of a plan) and do some research on liveaquaria.com under the "nano fish" section and pick 2 that you are excited about. You are limited to what types of fish you can keep in a 20 but still, lots of fun options. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

every one that i ask say to cycled a tank with some fish in it

You didn't ask the right people. ;)

It's rare to find anyone nowadays that recommends cycling using a fish -- it's a lazy way to do it, and often fatal to the fish. There are much more effective and safer ways to cycle a tank. Using live fish hasn't been a preferred method for a long time.

Don't get scared off by folks correcting you about how you cycled your tank. We all learn. Hopefully you will do more research before proceeding. Don't worry, we all make mistakes. I have also had a few "old timers" suggest cycling a tank with damsels. They may not have posted it publicly, but it was suggested by more than one person and on more than one forum.

Also, though I am FAR from an expert so take what you will from my advise, I have a nice damsel in my tank. I read all the horror stories and still got one. It is as nice as any fish I have in my tank. He was however the LAST fish I added and one of the smallest. If you choose to keep them and do add another fish in the future, take them out, rearrange the tank, add the new fish then add back the damsels one at a time. Also make sure the new fish is larger. Really though, two fish should be your max in that tank. Even after it matures.

From the way you discribed you test results I'm guessing you are using test strips. Correct? Do not trust test strips. Even with liquid tests, which are much more accurate, good results are hard to get and can be a challenge to read correctly. My case in point. My tests have always been great, still I ended up with a boat load of issues.

Take it slow and don't be afraid to ask.

Back