Strange sump leak<<Any ideals?

SalteeDogg

Reefing newb
This might sound weird but my acrylic sump is bleeding water through the entire bottom of the sump. Sump has been full of water for the past 5 years so I don't know if its water logged or if its even possible for acrylic to water log? I have the sump up on a dolly in my garage where the sides hang off and I layed on the ground watching the bottom of the sump with a flash light and it looked like water was bleeding through the pours slowly. I would wipe down with clean dry rag and could visibly see water coming through. It has no cracks in the bottom as its coming through the bottom surface at an even consistent rate all the way around. And the strange thing its only doing it on the bottom surface and not the sides. I don't know how this could be fixed or if its even fixable. Would maybe sealing another piece of acrylic on the bottom help stop it?

Sounds like you may have a seam leaking. It shouldn't sweat unless it's colder than surrounding temps by considerable amount. Finding leaks can be tough. I don't know if it can be done to acrylic but you could try drying it out completely and sealing all the seams with aquarium silicon then letting it cure for a day before refilling?

They do make an acrylic glue. Silicone doesnt stick to well to acrylic.

Look for some Weld-On
Acrylic Glue

run it along the inside of the dried, cleaned sump. Then maybe even along the outside of the seams too. It should seal it up. Woth a try atleast.

I don't think its sweating. I can watch the entire surface bleed water through it at an even pace. I think im going to take it to mark off of melev's reef since he only lives a couple blocks from me

Back