Stray Volt ? HELP!!!!

OK this is new I just got socked when I put my hand in the tank and my arm touched the metal light?

is it the light or something in the tank? what do I do now??

You need to buy a multimeter. You can get one for $10 to $20 at any hardware store.

Then you need to test everything that is plugged in that runs on your tank. Lights, powerheads, skimmer, everything. Plug everything in one by one, while measure the voltage in your tank with the multimeter, until you find which piece of equipment is the culprit. Then you need to replace that piece of equipment.

Read this article.

Identifying, Locating and Curing Stray Voltage in a Saltwater Aquarium

I'd also say get a grounding rod. If you have one of those in your tank (that works). You won't have voltage issue. They sell em specialy made for fish tanks I found out.

Your lights are probably grounded via the outlet but they could still be the culprit just less likely. More likely would be a powerhead though. Hope it's not your lights they aren't cheap.

It really could be anything... Test any extension cords and power strips you have as well. I had a power strip go bad on my 240, and it was causing everything that was plugged into it to leak voltage. Once I replaced the power strip, it was fine. Also, look for salt creep on the prongs of everything. Clean them off if you find salt creep, and replace any plugs that are corroded. It's important to keep everything as dry and away from the salt as possible. I had a stray voltage in my 90 a couple months ago. My grounding rod had gone bad and wasn't working anymore.

I am going to guess that it is either the powerhead or the heater. Not the light. The light just provided a path to ground through the metal casing. Do like biff said and check everything one at a time.

If your feeling brave you can test without the meter :) Ouch nope not that one. Ouch not that one either...J/K don't do that get the meter. They are also handy around the house.

Could definitly be the new powerhead. Wouldn't be the first time a new motor was bad out of the box. If a problem starts after you change something look at what you changed as the possible problem.

It depends where you touched the light... Think about it, if you could have possibly touched the light near where the bulb screws in you might have created a short yourself. (This happened to me when I still had that old shoplight fixture! xD. I was scrubbing algae and my arm touched the tip of the florescent bulb and created a short. Scared the piss outta me!)

Back