Stringy Poo

Tango

Reefing newb
What does Stringy Poo look like?

I have a Chromis who usually has poop hanging out of him, looks like a hair. Is this something to worry about?

I don't know what stringy poo looks like...any pics on the internet?

sounds like he has internal parasites, i would treat with Parazapro (sp?)

Healthy poos just break apart like dust after being expelled

His poop literally looks like a human hair. I looked up stringy poop on google and those fish have white poop that kinda wiggles. So I don't know. Has anyone else have a fish with poop that looks like a hair?

Also do I need to QT or can I administer the med in the tank if he does indeed have a parasite? Also, u think he can fight it off on his own? He seems to be eating well and moving around well

Ya, that is a parasite of some sort. If one fish has them, its likely all the other fish do as well. However, this is the one medication that its safe to treat the DT with. It comes in little food pellets. He will probably be able to deal with the parasite on his own, almost all wild caught fish have them. If you do decide to treat, you are going to need to feed the medicated pellets for 2-3 days once a week for a couple of months to get rid of the infection, otherwise they will just be re-infected.

Back