Struggling Zoas - Bubble Algae?

jamesd523

Reefing newb
Hey guys,

So - I now have a few corals in the tank, and all are doing really well. Well, they all are doing really well except for one. I'll put some pics up later, but I have three zoas and a frogspawn.

One of the zoas was in the bottom 3rd of my tank and stopped opening. I recently moved it to the top 3rd, thinking that maybe it wasn't getting enough light. The thing is, it has nearly stopped opening all together now. I noticed yesterday a hard clear bubble on the rock with it. Is this bubble algae? Could this be whats wrong wtih my coral?

The frogspawn and other zoas (brown and yellow) are doing great... fully extended everyday, minus being harassed by one of my peppermint shrimp nearly all day. He actually ripped a piece of they yellow one off. Rude...

Any thoughts? I'm doing a water change today, but I did one last week, so my parameters can't be that far off. I had them tested at the LFS last week and everything was gravy.

Thoughts?

I've never heard of bubble algae being clear....red or green,yes,clear no.If it's truly is bubble algae then it wouldn't be the cause of them not opening up.

They were once open but are now closed,correct?
How long have you had these?

No harm to try a 5 minute freshwater dip for the zoas.One gallon of dechlorinated tapwater with pH and temperature set close to the display.Set them in the water for 5-10 minutes,swish the rock around and check for very small nudibranches,spiders or sundial snails that might fall off.These hitchhikers are all too common these days.

Thanks Reef,

I'll try that out. I've had them about 3 weeks. They used to be open, but soon less and less would open, now I only have one or two that will open about half way.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, James. I've been having problems with all my zoas too lately.

I'd follow Freak's advice about the freshwater dip. If it's a pest (and you'll have to go through the water very carefully when you've finished the dip to find any pests), then maybe you have a fish nipping at them? What kind of fish do you have in your tank?

Two clowns and two chromis. I haven't seen them messing with the coral, but the shrimp have really been pestering the other coral.

Yeah, those fish wouldn't bother zoas. If it's not a pest, it could be diseased. Have you noticed any discoloration, like white spots or patches of bleaching?

Not that I've noticed. I'll try to take some pics when I get home tonight.

Okay - Here are the new pics:

Tank
IMG_1604.jpg

Frogspawn
IMG_1588.jpg

IMG_1573.jpg

Zoa
IMG_1576.jpg

Zoa in Question - BEFORE
IMG_1581.jpg

AFTER
IMG_1602.jpg

New Coral - Not sure what this is, got it for my birthday
IMG_1600.jpg

Just cuz...
IMG_1554.jpg

no telling with zoos i can keep them in my 75 gallon under t5s and there doing great but never stay open and do well in my 125 gallon under metal halides and pc lights, have no idea why. One thing was weird was in past when i did water changes every month some corals especially zoos never did well but now i do water change every 4 months everything is do awesome.

I don't see any visual signs like a fungal infection.I would go ahead with the freshwater dip to be on the safe side.

Everything else looks nice and healthy.
Good luck.

Back