Substrate question, upgrading tank

chiqui bb

Reefing newb
I will be upgrading soon from 55 to 90 and want to use my existing substrate (aragonite from CaribSea). I also want to add more new aragonite. I understand that the old sand will seed the new but what is the correct procedure? Do I place the new sand at the bottom and the old on top or the other way around? Does it matter?

I really don't think it will matter.Heck even mix it altogether.

Rinse the old sand in new or old saltwater and don't forget it may start a cycle.

Cool! You can add the new sand in first, and then place your old sand on top of it...make sure you rinse it well in some old saltwater.

Just rinse the old sand until your not getting any more gunk out of it,then add it how ever best suits you.

I just upgrade from a 55 to a 90 and this is what I did. 1st I set up the 90 with water and 2 bags a LS in the back of the tank to place my LR from my DT on.2nd over the course of about 2 weeks I gradually added LR from my DT (with no coral's) on it.3rd bought a 12 pack on a friday night, transfered the fish ,put the LR with coral's in, now the 55 was empty except for the sand, scooped, rinsed, and done.I Iost nothing,by that I mean my anenome didn't even move off the rock it's been on sense I bought it...oh, I set my sump up at that time as well with 2 gallon's of mud and 1 bag of crushed coral and some small LR.. and by the way is that a horse your setting next to? I mean my god I thought my akita's were big dog's ..lol

Last edited:
Everyone is recommending that I rinse the existing sand but I worry about the effect this will have on my sand sifting starfish. I'm still a few weeks away from the process. Waiting on the stand to be built.

meshman10: Those are great danes and they are big, arent' they. Wish they would get a job and contribute to the food expenses!!

Rinsing the sand is only going to remove the waste thats built up in it.Which SHOULD prevent you from having a huge ammonia spike from stirring that cude up.

Also by rinsing the sand it removes a ton of dust particles in it. I remember adding 100 pounds of sand to my freshwater tank thinking that I didnt need to rinse it and low and behold I couldnt see inside the tank for almost 3 days lol

Back