Substrate

AndyNH

Reefing newb
Everyone keeps answering my questions so I will ask some more.

From what I am reading crushed coral is not a good idea for the tank. I have seen products that are sand, live sand and mud. Should I go with just one or a mix of different types? Does the size of the grain matter or is it just aesthetics?

Thanks again.

With the crushed coral, it causes a bunch of nasty stuff to build up in between it.

If your sand is too fine it will anger you with a sandstorm.

Argonite sand is what you want, im told it doesnt really matter if your sand is dry or live. I personally used both (over 2 tanks) and didnt see much difference.

Mud is for refugiums. You don't want to use mud as a substrate in your tank. You are correct about crushed coral. Aragonite sand is the way to go. There are several types of aragonite, and they vary by color and fineness of the grain. That is up to you. It also comes in dry or live varieties. Live sand is more expensive than dry sand, and not worth the money, IMO. Just buy the bags of dry sand. It will become live in no time.

If you do go with fine grain sand be sure to wash it thoroughly before you add it to your tank because most of the time your tank will look like milk. :)

Also many people dont suggest getting the mud for your fuge either. It has to be replaced every 6 months and most people dont see any benefit to using it.

i used really fine sand for my tank to begin with because didnt know any better. any slight wrong adjustment of flow that hits the sand makes it all cloudy and nasty. my fish go wild and i hate it...once i get everything under control tho it looks beautiful. i think i got the sugar size sand. imo i would use a lil bit bigger next time.

Back