substrates

Ted

Living one day at a time
Ok im not trying to start any arguments but what is the best substrate for a reef? :shock:

You won't get any arguments about this one. Sand. There's no contest. Crushed coral poses a lot of problems. It traps detritus and crud, so it worsens your water quality, burrowing animals can't live in it, etc. I really don't think there will be anyone that says anything but sand (bare bottom doesn't count, lack of substrate is not a type of substrate!)

Ok now the other question Biff. My main tank doesnt have "sand" its aragonite mixed with crushed coral. Since I am going to go reef should I remove it and replace it? Theres not much in the tank no corals just live rock and 5 green cromis also a few snails and such. Also which one? http://www.reefsand.com/ I was think the top one of course that gonna be the most expensive. What did you use?

Last edited:
I have a mix of aragonite and crushed coral as well, but I want to remove the crushed coral now. They don't look as good as those with just aragonite.

Ya I agree. I was thinking since I dont have much in there yet would be the best time to change it if Im gonna. Other wise I would have to just leave it alone once I start getting corals cant do that much tear down I would think. I went back to Biffs build I knew i remembered a pic of a pile of sand bags. Looks like she used CaribSea Carribean sand.

cribsea is good sand. the finer the sand the less crap that will get trapped in the sand. when you clean the tank you can just skim the top of it and all the crap comesright off the top.

Biff and James has it covered.
I too tryed the CC and sand mix when I first started.But after 3 months,it looked like crap.
Nows the time to change it though,before you got a bunch of stuff in there.

Back