Suggestions on fish to add to tank!

lvliss.l3liss

Reefing newb
I have a 120 gallon reef tank. I am looking for fish suggestions to add to my tank. The fish currently in the tank are a Yellow Tang, and a pair of Black & White False Percula Clownfish. All suggestions for fish are apprectiated, thank you!​

My Blenny is definitely one of my favorite fish. Great personality! I also enjoy watching my wrasses swim...so elegant...amazing to watch.

Lots of choices in wrasse...got to love those guys. Part of what you pick will depend on what you plan to have in the future and your budget so always keep that in mind. Me personally, my favorite fish so far has been my Blue Headed Wrasse...great energy, not something that everyone has, and CHEAP...er. I think I spent like $20, maybe less on mine. Especially, mine was of the changed sex coloring, so he/she :lol: had a blue head, an oreo cookie :mrgreen: (black line, white line, black line), and a green body.

Just make sure you're not adding too many fish all at once; 1 every few weeks is a good idea just so you can allow your system to adjust to the added bioloads. Granted for your size tank, you have a bit more wiggle room, especially if you're adding pairs/small groups, but if you've just added three fish to a newly cycled tank, wait a bit and see what happens.

Last edited:
Flashers and many of the fairy wrasses would make agreat additions.Be careful,they are jumpers.I'm not sure how long your system has been running.You may want to wait a while for a scooter blenny(dragonet actually).A true blenny like tailspot,sailfin,midas will be fine though.

A small shoal of bartletts or lyretail anthias would be nice too.

IMO there is no inches rule. Some fish are messy eaters and some are not. It`s all about what your bioload can handle and what fish you have or get.

Ohh and also the amount of fish total that you can have in your tank is 1-2 inches of adult fish per 10 gallons right?

IMO there is no inches rule. Some fish are messy eaters and some are not. It`s all about what your bioload can handle and what fish you have or get.

1" per 10 gallons is a good rule of thumb for general planning, but as Melosu points out, its not an exact science/metric, which is why you add the fish slowly and see how your system handles things one addition at a time.

If you add 12 fish all at once and your tank starts to turn for the worse, it'll be hard to figure out how many fish to remove/what your capacity is. On the other hand, if you added 8 fish slowly over time, then at your 1 year of having your tank you get your ninth fish that which then causes a downturn in water quality; you'll know to just take out that one fish....preferably you wouldn't get to that point, but it's a lot better than having to panic and take 8 fish while hoping at least 4 survive.

Haha thanks for all the help guys! Now I'm wonder would all these fish get along and would this be overstocked or not in the end!
1 Dispar Anthias
1 Red Scooter Dragonet
1 Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse
1 Yellow Tang
2 Black and White False Percula

Of course having a skimmer and sump / refugium and all that! Do you think this would all go well in the end.

You will do better with several anthias -- they are a schooling fish. You should have one male, and several females.

You are no way near overstocked. In a 120 gallon tank, you could comfortably keep 12 or so fish.

So would this stock list for a 120 gallon reef tank be ok? I know it's 13 fish, but the Orange Lined Cardinalfish are so small!
3 Dispar Anthias
1 Red Scooter Dragonet
1 Yellow Tang
5 Orange Lined Cardinalfish

Last edited:
I would still do more than 3 Anthias...3 is kinda the minimum, and they're not always the easiest fish to keep. So if you have 3, and one of your females jumps or gets picked on by your Perc's a bit too much, now you're down to just two. Personally, I would add the anthias next, and add 5 together at the same time (1 male, 4 female). It would be a nice solid group and the tank would still be relatively be wide open for them to establish themselves/find their place in the tank.

That would put your tank at 15 fish keeping all your other choices, but the dragonet and the percs are going to keep to relatively small areas, and the Cardinals are going to be really mellow. If anything I might say trim down the number cardinals, but again, as long as your bioload can take, you may be able to fit them all.

Last edited:
So would this stock list for a 120 gallon reef tank be ok? I know it's 13 fish, but the Orange Lined Cardinalfish are so small!
3 Dispar Anthias
1 Red Scooter Dragonet
1 Yellow Tang
5 Orange Lined Cardinalfish

List looks great to me.I think your have an easier time with lyretails then dispars though.The Maldives lyretails are especially pretty.

Hmmmmmmm...I too have a 120 gallon...after reading this thread I'm definitely overstocked! No wonder those nitrates are high....UGH.

how many fish do you have in there Ursula? Do you have a fuge with plant life? Adding marine plants to a system can really help cut down nitrates.

Last edited:
Back