Suggestions Please

ReefyCane

SuperNewbie
Hi All,

Just need some suggestions on a few items I am going to pick up for my tank (hopefully tanks soon)!

First, I need to get a spare 150W double ended MH bulb...I like the look of the 14K so whatever would be the best and most cost effective would be great!

Next, would you guys suggest Purple Up to help my coralline growth? I have some, but does this stuff really work well? Is it worth it?

I need a small heater of some sort to warm my water for water changes...any suggestions there?

Also, does anyone here do the two-part kit thing to keep there pH, alkalinity, calcium and magnesium in check? I have a couple of friends who swear by it...is it hard to do?

I also need an algea scrubber..one of those magnet deals....which one is the best?

Many thanks again for all the suggestions and help. My tank is doing really well and this upcoming week I am getting my first fish and corals!! :D

~RC

well if you have purple us then use it, I think Biff did

what size it your tank? I need to know to suggest a heater

I don't use an algae magnet I use one that has a black handle and a red blade, kind of looks like a mini ice scraper

Hi All,

Just need some suggestions on a few items I am going to pick up for my tank (hopefully tanks soon)!

First, I need to get a spare 150W double ended MH bulb...I like the look of the 14K so whatever would be the best and most cost effective would be great! Reef and Biff should be able to help you on this one.

Next, would you guys suggest Purple Up to help my coralline growth? I have some, but does this stuff really work well? Is it worth it?Dont waste your money on it.Get a test kits for calcium and one for magnesium instead.Keep your calcium,magnesium,and alkalinity up and the coralline will grow.

I need a small heater of some sort to warm my water for water changes...any suggestions there?Any 100 to 150 watt heater will do.

Also, does anyone here do the two-part kit thing to keep there pH, alkalinity, calcium and magnesium in check? I have a couple of friends who swear by it...is it hard to do?I perfer not to use the 2 part kits.

I also need an algea scrubber..one of those magnet deals....which one is the best?Mag-Floats are good.As are the Magnivores.

Many thanks again for all the suggestions and help. My tank is doing really well and this upcoming week I am getting my first fish and corals!!

~RC

I like the Mag Floats for magnets. Not only do they work great and can't get lost in your tank, but there's a razor blade attachment you can buy for them called Easy Blade to scrape off hard crap. It works great.

I used Purple Up to jump start coral growth in both my tanks, and I swear by that stuff. Seriously, loved it. Other people have used it and saw no difference in coralline growth. Seems to be one of those products that works for some people and doesn't do a thing for others. If you want to try it, I say go ahead. Worse case scenario you'll be out $20.

Can't really help about the bulbs and heater, I really suck at giving equipment advice :(

As for the additives, most people do use something to keep their parameters in check, but it's important to buy test kits for those things first, and only dose if your tests say you need to. No it's not hard, it usually works just fine to follow the directions on the bottle.

The local reefers here tell me the same advice before.If you dose,using a two part solution for calcium/alkalinity is better than a single product.You should still get good results with one single calcium additive.I haven't heard of a two part doing anything for magnesium so there maybe some confusion there.

I didn't see any noticeable difference in using and not using the Purple Up.If you decide to do the two part calcium/akalinity than the Purple Up would be a waste.Always test first before dosing anything.

I'm not a MH guy but I hear great things about the XM bulbs.Stick with the name brands like Hamilton,Ushio,XM,Phoenix bulbs.Stay away from the cheap knock-offs.They have much lower PAR than the name brands.The Visitherm Stealth heaters are inexpensive and reliable heaters.Those are the black heaters with plastic covers.Using two smaller heaters instead of one larger is a safer way to go.I can't recommend wattage,didn't see a tank size.

Back